Now we all know that if there’s one thing us Brits like to talk about it’s the weather! So just what is going on this year? We’ve seen parts of the UK in drought and other parts in flood.

But what does it all mean for our wildlife? We asked reserve staff up and down the UK what it meant for the wildlife on their reserves. This is what they said:

Total washout

Snipe on boggy ground. Photo by Andy Hay (www.rspb-images.com)The Ouse Washes in Cambridgeshire should now be a patchwork of grassland and pools.

But Jon Reeves, Site Manager, says that currently it’s looking like ‘a giant inland sea’. Now this is great for the passing terns, but not so good for the breeding waders and ducks. All 600 pairs of breeding waders, and 800 pairs of ducks, have been washed out. Many of the waders are currently looking to relocate, but things are looking tough.

It’s a similar story from just down the road at the Nene Washes. Charlie Kitchin remarks: ‘The year-long drought that so badly affected the 2011 breeding season and meant last winter was dry with few wildfowl came to a dramatic end in April. A flood has all but wiped out the nesting season. Hopefully the birds will have time to nest again if the flood water recedes quickly.’

Wet underfoot

In north-west Wales, nestled next to the River Conwy lies the Conwy reserve itself. ‘We’ve missed the worst of the weather and, although it’s a bit wet underfoot, nothing that’s really affecting wildlife except that we’ve barely seen any butterflies’ Site Manager Julian Hughes comments. He’s also happy that the recent rain will make it easier for thrushes etc to find food, as the soil isn’t as rock hard as it’s been in recent springs.

Wrong kind of rain!

‘It’s the wrong kind of rain!’ says Julian Nash, Site Manager of our North Kent reserves. Although, like the other Julian in Wales, he’s pleased that it’s alleviated the recent drought conditions: ‘The rainfall has really helped maintain conditions for breeding waders at a key time.’ So why’s it the wrong type? ‘Persistent heavy rain can kill off young wader chicks, particularly lapwings, as they can’t keep warm enough. However, so far, we’re not seeing this, so fingers crossed’.

Good for the ducks

Shelduck. Photo by Ben Hall (www.rspb-images.com)A big wetland restoration project was completed last year on our Loch Leven nature reserve, with the aim of improving the site for breeding waders.

Reserve Warden Vicky Turnbull tells us how the weather is affecting their first breeding season with the improved wetland: ‘Our early spring lasted for two whole weeks, and I was very worried the reserve would dry out half way through the breeding season. But then the rain came and it hasn't stopped much since – our wetland's looking great, just how we want it. We did lose one lapwing nest to flooding, but other than that the rain's really helped. We want lots of mud for the waders and their chicks, and the ducks like it too.’

Let us know

Despite all this rain it’s worth remembering that parts of south and East of England are still classified as in a drought. So it’s really important to keep conserving water.

How’s the weather affecting the wildlife in your garden or local reserve? Has the drought dried you out, or the rain turned your garden into a bog? Leave a comment and let us know.

For more on our science, check out the RSPB Centre for Conservation Science web pages.

• Totally agree with Sherbs re climate I support RSPB and its conservation work but it really annoys me when they constantly refer to climate change/global warming. As I see it we have all been sucked in by government and media hype on this. The media is largely to blame as there is no balanced view; normal weather events are portrayed as extreme and when we have colder than average months/seasons this is largely unreported. The biggest threat birds and wildlife in general both in the UK and worldwide is destruction of habitat, this is happening because there are too many of us.

• I recently went to a talk by a weather man, who said that 'Climate' is just a measure of the average of the weather and that in fact, if you look at the last 3 years in this country, our 'Climate' is getting colder, not warmer. This is all part of a natural cycle, we have accelerated it, but it would happen, with or without us, the climate getting warmer and then colder has happened for millennia. Having said that, it is very sad to watch the Blue Tits in my camera nest box hatch 6 chicks, only for 4 of them to die within days, I presume of cold since they were just apathetic and not feeding - one parent was sitting on them almost all the time. The 2 remaining chicks look fine but I can't help wondering if a lot of birds will be struggling in the cold weather, just to keep their chicks alive.

• House martins have nested on the front of my house for many years.  Last year I had two on the front and one at the back.  This year they came, swooped around and then cleared off.   I have seen nothing of them for over 3 weeks now.   I always thought of my place as a preferred spot, but apparently not and I shall miss their happy little chirping in the mornings as I wake :-(

• “All this weather is man made, caused by Geoengineering” was commented by Sal.

All man made?  “caused by Geoengineering?”   This is just wild exaggerated imagination with considerable disconnect with nature.

Living beings have substantially determined the substance composition of our atmosphere. We human beings now continue to play an inordinate part in this due to how our technology is applied by a growing large world population. This is slowly changing atmospheric composition which on strong and certain thermodynamic theory leads to a changing climate that is more energetically active.  Such is expected to lead to more extreme events of weather.

It is not possible to show if a particular weather pattern is due just by human effort since weather is a complex system of nature and not just due to human nature in a linear deterministic way.

• I'm worried that the unseasonally cold April/May this year has affected our normally healthy numbers of housemartins.  Numbers are way down from last year, but there have been bad night frosts since they arrived in April and I am worried that some of them did not survive this cold, as they always leave in September before the frosts at night come back again.

Christine Jones

Northern Ireland