At this time of year, millions of birds across the country will be house hunting, ready to set up home and raise a family in the spring. So if you’ve never built a nest box before, why not give it a go this weekend - after all, it is National Nest Box Week!

There’s a bewildering array of different nest box designs out there, so how do you know which one to choose? Well, this really depends on what species of bird you want to attract.

Read our online guide and you'll find out everything you need to know about what nest box to choose and how to make one, as well as where to site it.

Great tit photo by gynti_46 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/7891209@N04/3728646517/in/photostream/)

If you fancy having a go at making a box yourself, but think you might need someone on hand to help, why not pop along to one of our reserves this weekend and take part in a National Nest Box Week event – there are lots taking place up and down the country.

If your carpentry skills aren’t up to much, never fear, we’re offering 10% off all ready-made nest boxes from our online shop until 22 February and a FREE nest box if you become a member before 31 March – so there’s never been a better time to help your garden birds set up home.

Not only will you be making a real difference to garden birds by providing a safe place for them to rear their young, putting up a nest box means you’ll also be able to see birds up close and get a really great insight into their lives.

If you see any odd behaviour or peculiar goings on in your new nest box, let us know - we’d love to hear your stories and might just have the answer!

• The last of my tit nest boxes are on sale at my local grocer, she doesnt put put 100% on the price. Instead i spend me earnings in her shop, an it's all legal, (well i hope so) The robin boxes went fast this year, they prefer open fronted. Each box comes with a leaflet about siting nest boxes. Not south facing, baking in full sun, not into the prevailing westerly winds, but a north-easterly position sheltered and quiet. Make sure the roof is not the lid of a squirrel's lunchbox!

loverofbirds

• Well, 2 more nest boxes brought last weekend and hope to erect this one, i was so pleased and happy when 3years ago my first 1 went up within the oralmental cherry tree which stands alone in a small back garden..not expecting any birds to nest but wonders of that moment when.. blue tits had me late nearly every day for work, to see their flechlings emerge was worth all the time spent,  watching and staying out of the garden not wanting to disturb them, she had 14 intotal from early afternoon to 8.40am the next morning last one out was so tired, but mum gave one last try at her call when he flew as high as he could -- which landed on my first floor pushed out window frame, it felt like a hugh thank you for feeding and caring, i'll never forget that moment.. just wanted to share with you, what nature can bring to as all.

• esbod you can site your nest box on house wall as long as it wont be in full sun, and high enough so cats have no means of climbing on anything to get to it.

• to esbod you can site your nest box on wall as long as its not in full sun and theres no means of cat climbing on anything to get to it ideally if you could put it about 8-10ft high that would be suitable.

• We made nest boxes with our scout troop just before christmas (around 25 in total), the boys and girls aged 11 - 14 really enjoyed the challenge and we've had a great response from them. We put a number in our own garden a couple of weeks ago, and the following day they were being visited by Blue Tits and Long Tailed Tits. If you are a Scout or youth leader, do give it a go, the kids loved it.

Scout Leader, Crosby - Liverpool.