I returned to the Eagle Hide today, having had a couple of days off.  What do you do on your day off on Mull?  Why, check on the other eagles of course!  I had a great day and had some wonderful views of both white-tailed eagles and golden eagles - we are so lucky on Mull to have both these magnificent birds - I don't think I could ever tire of watching them. 

Both trips today were fully booked and the visitors were not disappointed.  As I arrived at the hide this morning to open up, I was greeted by Frisa flying across the loch and into the nest.  Both groups got fantastic views of both adults and the chicks on the nest.   The two chicks are six weeks old today and growing at a phenominal rate.  As I took a final look at them this evening, you could clearly see their feathers coming through, a wing or two being flapped, getting ready for that first flight which should happen around 12 weeks old.

Did some of you manage to catch 'Animal 24:7' on BBC One this evening? Just wanted to point out that it was filmed two years ago. It was sad for everyone involved (see archived blogs from 2007 'White tail, black day') but the chicks this year are just fine.

I just want to sign off tonight by sending all our very best wishes to PC Finlay Christine, our Wildlife Crime Officer on Mull who featured in tonight's programme.  Finlay 'retired' today (although his official last day is in July) and is one of the nicest guys you could meet.  He has done so much for our eagles and all Mull's wildlife. This year he was awarded Wildlife Crime Enforcer of the Year - a fitting tribute to all his hard work.  A long, happy and healthy retirement and a huge thank you for all that you have done for our magnificent birds.

Dont forget to check the Live sea eagle webcam in Estonia and you will see how Skye and Frisa's chicks on Mull are looking!

I have included some of the stunning photos taken by Iain Erskine

White Tailed Eagle - photo copyright Iain Erskine

White-tailed eagle - Photos copyright Iain Erskine

White Tailed Eagle - photo copyright Iain Erskine

Have you ever thought of joining the RSPB and supporting our work with the eagles? Just click the 'Join now' button and take a look. 

Debby Thorne RSPB Scotland

Parents
  • Glad you 'put the record straight' Debby. I realised I had seen that 'clip' before but did wonder if others might have been confused. Having been to Mull and seen both eagles I can only endorse your remarks about the pleasure of seeing them. We did one of the 'tours' and it was a great day and ideal for those with limited time on the Island.

Comment
  • Glad you 'put the record straight' Debby. I realised I had seen that 'clip' before but did wonder if others might have been confused. Having been to Mull and seen both eagles I can only endorse your remarks about the pleasure of seeing them. We did one of the 'tours' and it was a great day and ideal for those with limited time on the Island.

Children
No Data