We've now changed the look of  this page to allow you to keep track of two new white-tailed eagle chicks from Mull. And now, as promised, we've added some new photos of them so you'll know what they look like - if you're ever lucky enough to see them! Thanks to Katie for sorting that. I love the shot of Oran on his nest greeting FCS climber Nick Purdy. Not a very friendly welcome! Oran and Venus are joining our first two chicks from Loch Frisa in 2008, Mara and Breagha. Don't forget to use the + and -and arrow buttons on the maps to zoom into see where they've been and when. They were all fitted with light weight, solar powered satellite tags to help us study the dispersal of immature sea eagles away from their nest areas. They were fitted by Roy Dennis from the Highland Foundation for Wildlife with help from our tree climber Justin Grant. Our thanks to the private landowners concerned and to Forestry Commission Scotland, their climbers and rangers for all their help on the day. The tags were funded by Scottish Natural Heritage and the data will be collected and mapped by John Sutherland and Sally Fisher from the RSPB's Data Management Unit. The all important analysis of the satellite data will be carried out by Natural Research Ltd on behalf of the Sea Eagle Project Team. Our thanks to them all and to the RSPB's web team for helping us get all this information out to you!

Oran is a fine, dark male chick who fledged from his mighty tree top nest in July. He is named after St Oran who is believed to have travelled through Mull to the Holy Isle of Iona in the 12th Century. We hope that our young eagle will be watched over and kept safe by his Saintly name sake. Oran is doing well so far. He returned to his nest to be fed quite a few times after his maiden flight which is quite unusual. He may be a bit of big baby and uncertain of launching off on his own into the big wide world. Over the next few months we'll find out how he gets on.

Across a few mountain ridges, from another Mull nest flew a beautiful young female sea eagle called Venus. She is named after the Goddess of love and beauty, flowers and Spring. Venus, the planet, is also the brightest light in the night sky and she appears at dawn and dusk as if to welcome the new day and to signal the approaching night. We couldn't think of a better name for our young female eagle. Like Oran, she too is now venturing further afield and is already well clear of her nest area. The parents of both chicks will happily tolerate their offspring around them for several months to come. They may not be bringing in much, if any, food for them at the moment but they will gladly share a deer, seal or sheep carcass with them. The chicks will know to follow along behind their parents in the expectation of a free handout. Soon though they will start to explore on their own and day by day, week by week, the distance between them and the adults will grow and the family bond will weaken. Unlike Mara and Breagha who spent alot of time together, Oran and Venus will soon be tackling life's challenges alone. This time last year, as Mara and Breagha began longer flights away, they seemed to find some comfort or at least reassurance  in each other's company on a regular basis. Life will be very different for young Oran and Venus. We will be watching them as closely as we can but they are wild birds and our role is simply to watch, study, learn and to protect. Our pioneers Mara and Breagha have proven they can survive out there and have now firmly dispersed from Mull. Mara may not be too far away on Loch Sunart but Breagha has ventured further into the north west Highlands. We wonder where the first big flights for Oran and Venus will be to? Will they ever meet up with Mara and Breagha? Stay tuned as we join them all on their extraordinary journeys.

Dave Sexton RSPB Scotland Mull Officer 

The Eagle Hide at Loch Frisa is still open! Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 10am and 1pm. Call 01680 812 556. Come and see us - and the eagles! Last week Debby and the groups of visitors saw the sea eagles AND the golden eagles - and the first red deer stag of the autumn was heard roaring around Loch Frisa so what are you waiting for? Plan your fall trip to Mull now and capture an autumn moment...visit the Holiday Mull & Iona website for details.

• Oops i can't believe i spelt Oaties name wrong!! Sorry Fella! Oh yeah the one show, thats where i saw him!!

I don't remember much about the Goldie, I think i maybe reported it at the time, maybe not? it was a few years ago, but i think we marked it on the map, i'll see if can find record and remember.

Didn't know you tagged Golden Eagles too! Or maybe it was from mainland!

• ps. Heather was seen by Debby today flying with Frisa near the Hide. Skye there too. Happy families.

D

• Its just a shame that we won't beable to identify an eagle by year or name now, unless it comes and sits on your bonnet long enough to read its ring :-) We were very lucky and clearly seeing the yellow tag and black 'O' on him and that year they (Haggis and Oattie) had been on springwatch , they are like celebraties, it was like seeing David Beckham, but i have met him like a 100x, I wouldn't mind my pic being taken with a Sea Eagle!!! Have we heard of him recently , Oattie!!

But as you say they must be rare those encounters and then reports, We have never seen a tag before or since,  once we saw a yellow tagged Golden Eagle. I just would love to see Heather the Sea Eagle, but i guess any young one could be her on the island or Oran or Venus!! Well any eagle is good enough me, I hope they continue to do as well as they are!

Well i'll let you know if i have any good sightings!

Thanks

Oatie was over in the east last year. Nothing since...deep breath! He'll be fine. He was one of Kate Humble's favourites that year (2006) and was on The One Show. Haggis was also seen on Lewis and then back on Mull once. Keep watching...

Tell me more of the yellow tagged golden eagle?

Dave

• HeatherP I think chicks not tagged on wing this year I think the senior Norwegian man in charge of sending birds to Scotland does not like the practice or at least thinks it unnecessary. I believe he thinks ring on the leg is enough for any identification.

Reply: HeatherP - west coast chicks haven't been wing tagged for a couple of years now. Last ones were in 2007 when the colour was white. The decision was one taken by the Sea Eagle Project Team in the UK as we all felt the wing tags had told us as much as they were going to about juvenile dispersal as getting data in from sightings depended on too many variables, like being seen in the first place, being accurately read by the observer and then actually receiving the information. So that's why in the west we're now piloting satellite tags. Other sister projects are still in their early phases when wing tags will still provide useful information so the east coast and Irish projects are still wing tagging. In the east the tags this year are turquoise with white letters or numbers. Sooty's latest revelations are news to me but maybe he has a hotline to Norway!  Wing tags were not everyone's cup of tea as a research tool but after 20 years or so of wing tagging here, there is no evidence that they harm or inhibit the birds in any way and many of our breeding birds were (and still are) wing tagged and are thriving. But to see a sea eagle as nature intended without wing tags is of course a thrilling sight - so as soon as we felt the time was right, the programme was ended. Let's hope the sat tags now do the business on juvenile dispersal although I must confess that there have been many times when I miss being able to ID a young bird from its wing tags - and I haven't yet managed to read a coloured leg ring through the 'scope. Time will tell. Dave

• Just had a look at the photos.  The first pic of Oran is hilarious, if not a little scary.  I hopt that Nick Purdy didn't take it personally :))

Thanks to everyone concerned.