• Waxing Lyrical

Nature always has a way of surprising you, however long you’ve been observing it. Take today for instance. A glance out of the office window at the flocks of chaffinches on the sunflower seeds; lovely in their own way but nothing out of the ordinary. Some were even coming into their bright spring breeding plumage now. Further across the lawn (or what passes for a lawn – it’s more a bed of moss) several blackbirds were…

• Sunburnt! Scotland in the snow - in February!!!

(sorry couldnt think of a song title for this blog)

Its true I tell you!  I am sitting here on Sunday evening with after sun cream on my face!  Mull has been experiencing some amazing weather over the last few weeks.  Beautiful crisp, clear days, and last night the snow returned.   It  has been the half term holiday for English schools, and there has been a noticeable increase in the visitors to the Island.  We had a  couple…

• Is it love you're after - or just a good time?

At last Frisa and Skye have been revealing a few secrets of their hidden world of courtship. At first light last week I discovered them cosied up on an old favourite nest. If this is their choice, there is much to be done to this trusty old eyrie to get it ready in time but they seemed to have a distinct lack of urgency about them. Or at least Skye did.

While Frisa was busy rearranging sticks, Skye was perched to one…

• Why do birds, suddenly appear?

(courtesy of The Carpenters, Close to you - cant stop singing it now!)

Well bit of a busy week - last weekend was The Big Garden Birdwatch.  Why is it that birds that come into the garden every day of the week, suddenly disappear when you need to count them?  On the other hand, you can be surprised at birds that appear that you've never seen before.  As we settled down last Sunday, I noticed a strange looking bird…