• One Day I'll Fly Away ........

but not quite yet!

This evening I went to check up on Half Pint to see whether he has fledged yet.  He and his sibling were 12 weeks old today!  Its a bit of a precarious walk and loaded with a telescope, binoculars, daughter in tow, we tentatively made our way to the best position to view the nest without any of us tripping up, dropping the scope or the other threat, getting soaked to the skin by the heavy, intermittent…

• 31 Jul 2009
  • What a Clever Girl!

Well, Heather is turning out to be a quick learner.  On Friday as we watched her in a field in front of the Hide, it was clear she had caught something and was feeding.  It was very difficult to see what it was, but I was surprised how quickly she had managed to work out how to catch something.  Today, she took another step forward in her journey towards independence.  As we looked out of the Hide window, we saw a large bird…

• 28 Jul 2009
  • "Look Mum - I can fly!"

Sorry for the delay in news but as you may have read we have now moved over to a new blog software!  Still finding my way round it so hope this works!!  I am holding the fort for a few days while Dave has a well earned rest.

The one piece of news I wanted to share with you is the naming of our chicks.  This year Ulva Primary School chose the names and the names chosen are Heather for our female and Bracken for our male…

• 25 Jul 2009
  • Gee - its great to be back home!

courtesy Simon and Garfunkel

Well we arrived home yesterday evening after a great week over on Speyside and the Black Isle.  We had some great views of the osprey family at Loch Garten who are doing really well.  I also love seeing the red squirrels too - something we don't have on Mull!  We then travelled up to the Black Isle for a few days - I can nearly say I swam with dolphins - in fact I had my trousers rolled up to…

• 19 Jul 2009
  • "The eagle has landed...We copy you on the ground"

Ok so we're a bit early to celebrate the first landing on the moon by the lunar module but it was 40 years ago today that Apollo 11 blasted off from Cape Canaveral. Our second chick at Loch Frisa, a female, blasted off from the nest over a week ago. Although I've made sure I've heard her each day to ensure she's ok, I just wanted to see her. But she has kept herself well hidden. After what happened to the male chick…

• 17 Jul 2009
  • Smile, though your heart is aching...Sunday update

I know. There is terrible news from Afghanistan so I won't linger for long on the death of one young eagle but just to bring you quickly up to date on some news from Loch Frisa which I know many of you have been thinking about. Thank you all for your support. The first chick we thought had fledged was found dead Friday afternoon. We had all hoped so much that he would make it. We now know the chick was a 'he'. Ironically…

• 11 Jul 2009
  • Please leave the Loch Frisa nest: you have been evicted!

It's amazing that after all the years of watching sea eagles, I've never actually witnessed a maiden flight - until yesterday! Watching from Glen Aros, still searching in vain for chick no.1, I could see chick no.2 bouncing about on his favourite branch just to the left of the nest. He's been there many times before. Usually he then bravely launches himself off - and lands straight back in the nest. But yesterday…

• 8 Jul 2009
  • Don't You Forget about me!

As I drove to the Hide this morning, my favourite band, Simple Minds, came on the radio singing "Dont you forget about me".  As I started to sing along I also began to think about our youngsters at Loch Frisa.  One has already left the nest and when I left the Hide on Friday, the second chick was doing some serious jumping and wing flapping.  It was my day off yesterday so thought it had probably fledged too.  I felt…

• 6 Jul 2009