• Two's company

From across the glen, the heat haze was too strong but I could just make out some flapping on the nest. One chick was still there. During the morning both Frisa & Skye came in but went straight to the nest. As the heat of the day intensified, I moved in to watch from near the hide. The haze was less but still only one chick was visible. Then I ventured into the cool of the dark forest where a gentle summer breeze kept…

• Sleepless nights

I'd like to bring you some definitive and positive news on the 'missing' chick at Loch Frisa but I'm sorry I can't. However, you always tell us you want to know the facts as they happen so I'm afraid there is no easy way to say this: I am worried tonight. As ever there is good news and bad news. Let's get the 'bad' news out of the way and keep positive. Compared to previous years, it is…

• Now you see me, now you don't!

Well a very strange day indeed.  After hearing the news that our two chicks may have fledged I felt quite emotional.  Having spent all this time with them, from the day they hatched and watching them grow day by day, it was as if my own child was about to leave home. 

As I drove to Loch Frisa this morning, not knowing what I might find, my stomach was doing somersaults.  Usually, when I arrive at the Hide, I spend the first…

• Got to be there...be there in the morning

Where are our chicks at Loch Frisa? Some very strange and uncharacteristic behaviour from Frisa & Skye today by all accounts. Skye was down at the larches for much of the day staring intently down to the ground. Only one chick has been visible all day on the nest flapping like mad so clearly healthy. Where was No.2? And no food delivered. What's going on? Late tonight, Frisa came into the nest then quickly up onto branches…

• Day in the life of...

The following is an article which appears in the summer edition of "Scotland Outdoors".  Here is the link to their website.  http://www.scotoutdoors.com/

Dave Sexton, RSPB Scotland, Mull Officer

"I have lived and worked on the Isle of Mull with my family for six years now, but I first came here more than 30 years ago. I was on a school geography field trip exploring glaciated glens, ring dykes and sea arches…

• An unexpected visitor!

As I drove to Loch Frisa this morning, I wondered what the day held in store. The weather looked like it could go either way - either lashing rain or glorious sunshine - I am certainly equipped for all eventualities. As I unlocked the Hide, I noticed something white on the water - a swan!  There have been several mute swans in Salen Bay for several months now so assumed one had come to visit us.

I then squelched my way…

• Half pint - did he make it?

It was time to try again. Half pint had barely stirred during the last nest visit a week ago. His older, bigger sibling was standing up, his developing wings outstretched and hissing at our ringer Justin as he edged up over the nest rim. Half pint lay almost motionless in the nest and was clearly in no state to be ringed or measured. His first few weeks of life had been a real struggle. He had probably food begged and …

• Survival of the fittest?

A week ago we visited a sea eagle nest on Mull with two chicks in it. This was to be the last nest check on Mull this season. We hoped we'd end the week on a high - and with the nest some 50 feet up, it didn't get much higher. These two were almost a month behind our twins at Loch Frisa and it showed.

While Frisa and Skye's chicks are now well feathered, these two were still very downy - a grey down with only…

• New Kids on the Block!

Just a quick update tonight but what an update!!

As mentioned earlier, our chicks at Loch Frisa were ringed last Wednesday.  One of the guys working for the Forestry Commission (Scotland) who was helping took some photos of the chicks.  It is just so exciting to be able to see them so close rather than staring at them through a telescope and binoculars.  They will be 8 weeks old tomorrow and are ever edging closer to fledging…

• Agony and ecstasy

Hi all, apologies for the radio silence from me and thanks to Debby for keeping this blog afloat. As she explained it's been quite a week and I'm only now getting a minute to update you on it. I'm forced to sit down and write due to the fact that at the moment I'm pretty much incapable of doing anything else!

Something went horribly wrong with my back yesterday simply by standing up, which after all the…

• That was the week that was!

Phew - another hectic week on Mull!

Dave has been out and about with the leg ringing team and checking up on our new sea eagle chicks - he will be doing a blog soon to update you on what he's been doing (I think catching up on his sleep at the moment!). 

Our two chicks at Frisa were ringed on Wednesday, both Skye and Frisa were away feeding at the time and were totally unaware that anyway had been near their nest.  I…

• How Many Eagles Mum?

Buzzard - Photo Debby ThorneBuzzard - Photo Debby Thorne

Dave is busy dashing round the Island - its leg ringing time and we have Blue Peter helping out!  I will let Dave tell you all about that. 

Well - what a start to the day - blue skies, sunshine and very, very warm that I was forced to wear short trousers (not a pretty sight!).

Our first group in the morning consisted of 5 visitors - which I thought was a mistake as the trips have been virtually…