• Diversity!

Well, having just sat through all the acts for Britain's Got Talent, I'm glad I didn't have to choose the winner - they were all so good.  Congratulations to Diversity!

Well someone has finally heard my pleas - the weather here has been glorious, buckets of sunshine, blue skies and very, very warm.  The Factor 50 suncream had to come out today.  This weather is great for growing chicks too - its gives Skye and…

• Six weeks old and growing fast!

I returned to the Eagle Hide today, having had a couple of days off.  What do you do on your day off on Mull?  Why, check on the other eagles of course!  I had a great day and had some wonderful views of both white-tailed eagles and golden eagles - we are so lucky on Mull to have both these magnificent birds - I don't think I could ever tire of watching them. 

Both trips today were fully booked and the visitors were not…

• I don't like Mondays

Live sea eagle webcam 

Well, actually I do. Usually. But to wake up to the mizzle (mist and drizzle?) again was a bit of a let down. Especially when the rest of the UK seems to be basking in wonderful warm sunshine.  However, undaunted, two true-grit groups assembled at 10am and 1pm and were not put off by suggestions that we might see absolutely nothing at the hide. They would take their chances. True the mist was down…

• What a difference a day makes - sunshine and showers!

First of all, on behalf of Dave and myself, we would like to say thank you for all your comments. They certainly make interesting reading and it's great to know so many of you take an interest in our work with the sea eagles. 

One subject that everyone talks about on Mull is the weather!  Yesterday and today were absolute contrasts.

Yesterday the forecast told us to expect sunshine and showers but instead we had wall…

• Normal Service now resumed!

Phew!  What a week that was!  Just about recovered from Wild Isles Week but what a fantastic week it was.  There were many events around the Island from Corncrake Walks, Evening Birdsong Walks, Looking for Otters and lots of talks on a whole variety of subjects, as well as the Eagle Hide open to trips twice a day.  The trips were fully booked all week and our visitors were treated to some great displays by Skye and Frisa…

• Easy like Sunday (and Monday) morning

It's been a good couple of days at the hide. Frisa and Skye have been very busy, in and out with tasty morsels. Today Frisa took some time out for a bath. The excited group at the forward hide watched as she swept round in front of them and then landed on the grassy spit of land jutting out in to the loch. Then, in she went - fully immersed. Imagine a blackbird in your bird bath in the garden and then multiply it a…

• Live white-tailed eagle webcam and Wildlife Week update

Click here now to see how the sea eagles are doing:

Live sea eagle webcam

There will now be a permanent link on this blog page to the fantastic live webcam from our friends in Estonia showing a pair of white-tailed eagles at their nest. This pair and their two chicks are at a very similar stage to Frisa and Skye and their two youngsters. Just click on the white-tailed eagle camera link. They have other great cameras too…

• Winners and losers on Eagle Island

The signs were not good. No off duty bird perched nearby. By now, given the fine weather, I'd have expected to see an adult enjoing the sun a short distance away from the nest. I waited and watched but all was quiet. Under licence, I ventured closer, then closer still. There should have been a reaction by now. Sea eagles react strongly if disturbed at an active nest. If there are young they will call and fly close - one…

• Here Comes the Sun and I say, .... its alright!

Well, when I woke up this morning with the sun streaming through the bedroom, I thought “won’t be long before the rain arrives”.  How wrong I was.  Today has been simply glorious – blue skies and warm sunshine, just what our chicks, and also our adult birds need.  The adults haven’t been out much this week, protecting the chicks from the cold, the wind and the rain – and they have done a sterling…

• Saturday Night Live

So we've made it through this horrible week. Enough of the weather. Apart from reporting that the rain has now stopped. The winds have now dropped and Frisa, Skye and the two chicks are alive and well. It wasn't an easy day at the hide for Debby with constant heavy squalls rattling through every time they ventured outside. But by the afternoon the eagles were out and about, they brought in prey and there were some…

• Back together again

We've just analysed some data from a recent typical day in the life of Mara & Breagha. From 4am to 7am Mara was roosting alone in a forestry plantation near Salen. He wasn't a particularly early riser and who can blame him after the recent deluge? He spent the day over the mountains of central Mull. Meanwhile his sister Breagha had also roosted alone near Glen More. She too was still at roost at 8am and then…

• Soggy Update!

Well - just back from Loch Frisa, having been soaked and battered by the wind and rain.  I am pleased to say that both Skye and Frisa are well and Frisa has been feeding two chicks.  They are fantastic parents doing such a great job in this awful weather we are having!  The chicks are only 3 weeks old so still have a lot to get through but at the moment, both doing OK.

The rain had eased for most of the day but was replaced…

• Late night update

It's late so just a quickie. As you'll continue to see from the weather forecasts, there is no let up in the current autumnal onslaught from the Atlantic. To say we're concerned would be an understatement. But it's raw, wild nature and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. The good news - and we're mightily relieved about this - is that Frisa and Skye's nest is still there. Tonight at 7.30pm…

• The sun always shines on TV!

Oh how I chuckled to myself as that song came on the radio this morning!  As I drove up to Loch Frisa, I wondered why I had bothered doing my hair as I knew within the space of half an hour I would be resembling someone who had just stepped out of the shower!  The rain has been pretty persistent for a few days now, not heavy, just persistent.

This morning our forward viewing hide was moved into place.  It is positioned in…

• Singing in the rain

We can't pretend it's always wonderful and perfect here on Mull. You only have to look at the TV weather maps at the moment to see what's going on. It seems like one low pressure system after another drifting in and then standing still. It's not been a very memorable day at the hide for Debby and indeed many folk took the sensible course of action and postponed their visit until a better day. Usually we still press on…

• 'Eagles of Mull' - US TV premiere PBS Sunday May 3, 8pm Eastern

The highly acclaimed film about a year on the Isle of Mull by our good friend Gordon Buchanan is to receive its US TV premiere on Sunday May 3 on the PBS TV network in the 'Nature' series. It will be shown at 8pm on the East coast, for other US time zones check your local TV listings. In the UK this BBC film for the Natural World is called 'Eagle Island' and is available to buy in local shops and online from Amazon…

• Sunshine after the Rain!

When I arrived at Loch Frisa this morning, the rain was lashing down, not quite horizontal, but not far off! It was quite blustery too.  The first thing I do when I arrive is to check the nest is OK, and see if either Skye or Frisa are about.  This morning I could just make out Frisa on the nest, protecting her precious chicks from the rain and cold.   And for the news you have been waiting for .... we have two chicks!  Dave…