Film made by the RSPB Film Unit during the 1970’s called Osprey!

https://youtu.be/nFQBVeTNh28
M
embers of the RSPB who've just joined since the 1990’s might not know this but the RSPB many many years ago used to have an annual film show every year which RSPB members looked forward to every year which where recorded by the RSPB Films Unit which consisted of 3 new full length films about wild birds of which some of the films would often get broadcast on BBC TV after 12 months of being broadcast all over the UK. The premier of those films would first be premiered every year in London in early Spring and the first showing near to where i live in North East England would take place on a big screen in the major concert hall in Newcastle Upon Tyne in October every year. The second half of the Annual RSPB Film Show normally was the longest film of the 3 films. This RSPB Film was broadcast by BBC TV after the RSPB Film Show in that year had been shown all over the UK and after 12 months was broadcast on BBC TV  and this film called Osprey won a number of awards. For anyone who has never seen this film called Osprey, well here it is in the link above. Enjoy!

• Thanks very much Thomo! I've not seen this film and look forward to gobbling it up later
  • Thank you Thomo. I recall those annual film events which were indeed a highlight of the year and very well attended. Often coincided with the launch of the Christmas Cards etc. so volunteers would be selling those in the foyer.
  • Thanks for this information Ian, I am an Osprey fan, one of my favourite birds, so I will look forward to watching that later.
  • One interesting pierce of information from the RSPB Film Osprey in the year that the film was first shown in the UK, was that the Osprey breeding population in the UK and only in Scotland at that time was that there where only 20 nesting pairs. Apart from Loch Garten and the Loch of Lowes which both had visitor facilities to view the Ospreys, all of the other nesting pairs of Osprey where kept secret and of course no internet access for the public at that time, as the internet in lots of ways sadly can get around to certain individuals about nesting rare birds. Which sadly does happen now..
  • Many thanks for this link & info Ian, good to have something different to look forward to viewing when I get some peace & quiet!
  • Thanks, Ian, we'll look forward to watching it very soon.
  • That was a great film. I'd not seen footage before of ospreys grabbing branches, and I've never been that close to an osprey's bottom. Interesting reference to Inverdruie Fishery (Rothiemurchus) which, rather than 'cover their hatcheries', now co-exists happily with visiting ospreys, and charges photographers, as well as fishermen, to help offset the costs of their plundered trout. I think one of the nests shown was Loch Garten? And also, a shot of Loch Insh?? Some great shots too of ospreys catching very large fish. Thanks again Thomo.
  • I used to enjoy those annual RSPB Film Shows. I can’t remember why the annual film shows where discontinued. I can remember that the annual RSPB Film Show in Newcastle Upon Tyne was moved to another smaller venue away from the large concert hall in Newcastle. The reason was that the audience at the large concert hall that had always had large turnouts in the audience for many years, but then the audience started getting smaller and that’s why in Newcastle the annual film show was moved to another smaller venue. But I can’t remember if that is the correct reason. There are a small number of RSPB Films from the 1970’s and the 1960’s from the RSPB Film Shows that can be found on YouTube, simply by doing a search and typing out: RSPB Films Unit.

• www.thegordoncraigtheatrearchive.org.uk/.../rspb-film-show-u-september-1985  Ive found this old archive advert for the RSPB’s Annual Film Show in September 1985 from a theatre somewhere in the UK. This will give those RSPB members who became members after the RSPB’s Annual Film Shows where discontinued and what the RSPB’s films where like, shown every year in the UK

• Excellent film, thiroughly enjoyed it!