Weekly Chat, Sunday, December 5, 2010

Hi everyone: Have a nice Sunday. Don't forget to catch up on last few entries of previous week - AQ is havng a hard time sleeping coz of the heat!!

Daughter here for the night; catch up tomorrow.  :-)

• Morning all,

OG : Thanks for the wagtail pics. Our two have not been back since the snow disappeared.

AQ: Cant imagine what 32c would be like at the moment.

Linda : Thanks for the smiles. More good ideas?

Everyone else thanks for the chat.

I have just returned from the vets as Hamish has a growth on his face that has become infected. Unfortunately he will have to have it removed on friday. In the meantime he is on antibiotics. Hamish is the only dog I know that wags his tail when he goes into the vets and is not bothered at all by the examination.

The weather is exceptionally cold but sunny this morning. There were people having to jump start their cars this morning. The weather station had a record low of -6.8c last night and at present it is still only -3.9c. Of course it will be much colder than that in the open countryside. I saw many geese flying over as I drove back from the vets probably searching for some unfrozen grazing.

Everyone stay warm.

• Sorry to hear about dear Hamish, Alan - at least he will not be distressed to go to the Vets - mine gets upset as soon as we draw into the car park!  Will be thinking of him and you , on Friday.

• I have not used my car since 27th Nov, presently it is 'on charge' in the garage. Outside it is -1degC and I have a hose running in the garden pond, which leaks, but an enterprising goldfinch was sitting on the end of the hose, having a drink. The heron has not re-appeared, but its footprints remain in the snow, from yesterday. Three toes to the front, one to the back.

• Hi everyone.

At the moment it is snowing here, like its going out of fashion.  In the last couple of days there seemed to be a bit of a thaw.  Then I open the blinds this morning and discover that the snow is falling from a very ominous looking sky at roughly the rate of a ferocious delivery aimed to unsettle a nervous lower order batsman.  Okay I'll admit it one of my interests is cricket, so with the turn of this year and next being an Ashes series in Australia, my nights are largely spent with headphones on listening to the radio.  My days (when I get a spare moment) are spent watching garden birds.  Although why they decided to get a Jackdaw to bowl off-spin in a garden covered in snow, I'll never know.  Surely a pacy bouncer from a Starling would've done the trick.  At the moment the score stands at roughly:  SNOW 1,000,000,000,023 for 0, and it doesn't ever have the decency to declare.  I put a fat-ball on the bird table this morning and watched the Starlings playing foot(beak)ball with it.  And that's the end of the sport bulletin.

Thanks for all the posts and pics everyone.  As usual, brilliant standard, and always worth the read.  Apologies for the lack of individual replies.  However I'm thinking of everyone and hope I'll have some replies in my next post, if my brain has thawed by then.

A very Happy Monday to everyone.  Please stay warm.

Paul.

• You don't need to post replies, Heron,  if you're busy.  Nice to hear that your Starlings are getting a bit of sport in, to keep them warm!

• Herron77 weather here in Fife is the same as yours the snow was falling when I got up and it is still snowing. I thought that I would get out today as I live in a street that has a school in it and all weekend we had men clearing the pavements and tractors with buckets on them clearing and salting the roads but this morning they are as bad as ever and the school remains closed. Managed to get out on Saturday and took SiL with me to get supplies at ASDA  so we both have food to keep us going for another week.

Have enjoyed all the chat and pictures and the Polar Bear is the only thing that is enjoying this weather and is saying 'This is more like it'.  but for me it is starting to get me down as I can't remember it being as bad as this in Fife as I live next to the sea and if the snow lies for a couple of days thats about it but not this time.  Been putting out apples sultanas meal worms and some madeira cake along with the usual seeds and fat balls and the extras don't last long. Everyone keep warm and safe if travelling. 

• When to write cards?   Remember many years ago that an aunt had written cards early, then my Uncle died so all her cards had Uncle John scored out which can't have been easy for her... or those of us who received them!!!!

• HERON   not a cricket fan but still loved your post. My Grandpa used to despair of me as he tried to teach me all about his beloved sport (he played for university college Oxford way back).

Met up with friend at Tiso Outdoor Experience. Sadly she has had another Husky put to sleep after having a stroke. Yola was nearly 15 so a great age, but they have had 2 Huskies put to sleep in the last 3 months or so and as we all know it is very hard to take. Friend was looking the worse for wear as they have just had 2 racing weekends and she is not greatly experienced with the sled and nor does she carry enough weight to be able to control some of the trickier moves so she has fallen off a few times and is a lot bumped and bruised. Still she loves using the sled in preference to the rig, but putting on weight is impossible for her (under 8 stone) so she will just keep on racing the sled when poss and hope more practice will perfect her skills.    Is she nuts or what!!!!  Still in all her 14 years of sled dog racing she has only once had a serious fall when she broke her collar bone some years ago. 

• Paul : Just been listening to the road reports for the central belt in Scotland and it sounds like gridlock with all the snow that has freshly fallen. I am also a cricket fan as I used to play for the school and my grandfather was president of Forfarshire CC at one time.

georgeG : Sorry the weather is so bad in Fife. When  I lived in Dundee I can only remember it being really bad once and that was around the end of January when the snow was drifting over the dykes and hedges. As Dundee is also close to the sea we did not get it as bad as further inland. This weather does get you down after a while as it is so restrictive. I am glad you have plenty food in.

• Good afternoon all, have not logged in since Saturday morning as I have really felt a bit under the weahter.  Had a stomach bug of some sort and spent a fair bit of time in bed.  Today I feel a little better but a bit delicate where food is concerned.  We had already decided not to go to London for the tennis and as it turned out we couldn't have gone anyway.  Saw a bit on TV yesterday afternoon and it was very entertaining.

Weather here seems colder than ever, heavy frost which is not going to clear away today.  The bird patio got flooded with all the snow melting and then heavy rain so it is like a miniature ice rink.  Had to smash the ice of in with a spade and move it on to the garden.  Probably shouldn't have been out there in this cold but birds have to be looked after come hell or high water.  I just wonder if it is ever going to turn warm again.  Been listening to the radio and Scotland and North Yorkshire are getting more snow as I type.

Thanks Lindybird for the Monday smiles, need that today to cheer me up.  I had to go and get some more bird food this morning, didn't really feel like going out but I just can't let the birds starve in this weather.  Knew I wouldn't have enough to last for the week until OH gets new supplies next Saturday.  Wore the new coat to go out in and even put the hood up.  I resemble an eskimo but who cares it kept me warm.  Great pic of he spider web coated in ice.

Alan sorry to read about Hamish hope it all goes OK for him.  Thanks also for the captures of the peregrines. 

dibnlib that is a lovely pic of the polar bear, he/she looks very contented with the weather.  Love the captions to the pic.

original goldfinch gorgeous photos of the bluetits and wagtails.  The pair of wagtails I have in my garden are the first to arrive in the morning and last to leave at night.  I love watching them. 

BrendaH my OH often buys clothes for me and I have to say he has good taste and really know what I like and what I don't like.  Last Christmas one of my presents was a pair of smart boots, mind you no good when it is snowy and icy just fashion boots.  He has to laugh though when I put a thick pair of socks on.

AQ sorry you are having a bit of a tussle at the moment with a youngster at the moment.

Heron 77 and george g  life must be difficult for you both at the moment with all that snow.  I am just thankful our snow went although it was replaced by rain which promptly froze making roads and pavement treacherous.   Have to say this relentless cold is getting me down a bit, terrible job keeping warm no matter how many clothers I put on.

OH is away tonight as he has gone to London for meeting with client today and tomorrow so won't be back until late tomorrow.  He usually tops Billy Whizz's food and milk up last thing to save me going out in the cold so I will have to brave it tonight.  I will definitely be going to bed in those fluffy socks again. He phoned me when he reached London and said it feels even colder up there.  Most unusually he wore his overcoat so it must be cold. 

So pleased that "Widdi" was voted off last night.  Sense prevailed at long last and the best four are all through. 

My favourite is Matt but I think Cara or Pamela could win.  Pamela is amazing for someone her age and the Viennese Waltz was just magical.  She was really feeling quite emotional at the end of it.

Well must brave the cold again and put some more food out for my birds so they have something in the morning.  They go to roost earlier and earlier now, how hard it must be for them at the moment.   Must also empty the bird baths as I forgot to ask OH to do it for me yesterday and it took a lot of warm water to defrost them this morning.  The sparrows are still bathing what brave little souls they are.

Please take care all and keep warm.