Bad News - Ian's Failed Again

I feel really sorry for poor Ian.

He's a conscientious chap, working hard to try and make Minsmere an enjoyable place to visit and takes his responsibilities seriously, doing his best for the wildlife that inhabits the reserve.  But what can you do with such a sneaky nemesis as those Pesky Bitterns?  Regular readers of these threads will know that Ian regularly runs training courses for these ungrateful birds, he sends regular memos reminding them of the behaviours they are expected to display as key representatives of such a famous reserve.  After all, to quote the RSPB Handbook of British Birds, Bitterns are "Very secretive and hard to observe. Moves slowly & stealthily through reedbeds...".  Collins makes the following observation "Rarely seen on ground (stays hidden in reedbed)".  Yet what did I find yesterday, as I walked into the Island Mere hide?  Yep, you've guessed it - trying to sneak away, hoping I hadn't seen, after spending half the morning coming too close to the hide for telephoto lens toting photographers to get their shots...

"Oi!" I shouted.  "Where do you think you're going?"

"Hmm?  Who, me?" quoth the Bittern in an innocent sounding voice

"You're up to your old tricks again, aren't you?  Just because I've been distracted by the Deer Rut, doesn't mean I don't get to hear about your bad behaviour!"

"Huh, don't care" said the Bittern, "Me and my mates aren't going to hide away when fancy amateur fishermen are about, gotta show them who's boss"

Fancy amateur?  First time I've heard a Heron be described in that way, but I suppose a Bittern has a different perspective!

Anyway - what did the Bittern mean "me and my mates"?  Ah, I see - uh oh, trouble's on its way across the cut reeds.  Exit stage left, Bittern #1.  Bittern #2 looks much bigger and even more brazen about his patch of reedbed.

Oh dear, poor Ian.  The Pesky Bitterns are back again!

• fantastic, especially the one before the Heron, seems to be showing of his leg

• LOL WJ,   brilliant photos and comments,  gave me really good laugh at these shy secretive birds, rarely seen  - reminds me of the water rail at Leighton Moss that stood 4 feet in front of me eating live mealworms I sprinkled down -  it was right out in the open, even brazen enough to climb up the broken off tree log that was in front of me  lol   They are going to have to re-write the books on these pesky bitterns and rails !       One day the rarely seen in Suffolk non feathered variety of bird called Hazy may make an appearance    ha ha !!

• Brilliant Bittern Photos Mr WJ. I haven't been lucky yet to get photos of Mr Bittern. I even missed the Little Bittern on Wednesday.

• Unknown said:
    They are going to have to re-write the books on these pesky bitterns and rails ! 

I think you're right - eventually Trades Description will get them!

Unknown said:
    One day the rarely seen in Suffolk non feathered variety of bird called Hazy may make an appearance    ha ha !!

We keep extending that open invitation :-)

nickbarn said:

Brilliant Bittern Photos Mr WJ. I haven't been lucky yet to get photos of Mr Bittern. I even missed the Little Bittern on Wednesday.

Bad luck Nick - I hear it showed for a while on Wednesday, though wasn't seen Thursday at all.  I was rather hoping it would come and keep our normal Bitterns company :-)
  • I'm so pleased to see that our bitterns are misbehaving again! We even had a visitor report that they had seen their best ever sighting of a bittern in 60 years last week. Long may they continue to show off so that our visitors get a chance to spot them.