Voluntary warden's update

As I write, an icy squall full of hailstones rips across the garden, thrown by a harsh North Westerly wind. It's an indication that our relatively mild Autumn weather of a few weeks ago, whose beautiful colours made the views across RSPB Winterbourne Downs such a sight to see, is giving way to proper Winter (sorry about that!). Many of the trees across the reserve held their autumn tints for much longer than usual, the last to go being the yellows of Acer species such as Sycamore and Field Maple, the golden hues of Beech and the browns of Pedunculate and Turkey Oaks. Our search for the unusual sometimes blinds us, I feel, to the appeal of the common, and the sight of Autumn beech leaves against a blue sky is something that I never tire of. There was a price to pay for our long-lived autumn though, as the mild Atlantic winds and weather systems that caused it meant lots of cloud, and less opportunities to see the colours at their best. However, a clear frosty snap in November allowed these lovely views of Beeches near what's locally known as Blue Bridge, and along the roadside even deep green frosty nettle leaves looked good! Evening and early morning views from this and other viewpoints were spectacular, as they always are on the reserve. There was a good crop of Autumn berries this year, as always; in particular the Guelder Rose looking striking in the hedgerows. Across the country many spring plants, confused by the mild conditions, have flowered early - I caught this Cowslip in flower in the visitor car park on 24th. September! Red Admiral butterflies were on the wing until mid November, maybe later, having put off their South- bound migrations for a while and feeding on the abundant Ivy-berries in the meantime. Well, the Autumn solstice isn't far away now, and most of the trees are bare-twigged and wintry, the walking is golden-brown and crunchy-leaved underfoot, and the winter visitors such as Fieldfares and Linnets are pouring in. Our winter bird surveys have now started and will let you know what we've seen. Last winter we had the pleasure of seeing dawn - and -dusk mini-murmurations of up to 750 Linnet, Goldfinch and Chaffinch, together with occasional Reed Bunting, Brambling and Corn Bunting on our winter-seed mixes. Here's hoping for the same this year. In the meantime, as you huddle by the fire with your woolly hats and mulled wine, here's a nice picture of a flower to cheer you up. Great Mullein, growing incidentally with winter-seed mix, 26th. November 2017.