Disappointed that Radipole Lake have shut down there bird hides with just basic viewing screens

I‘m very disappointed that Radipole Lake Reserve have shut down there bird hides with just basic viewing screens to replace the hides. So disappointed as our RSPB Local Group will be having a weeks holiday in Southern England in 2018 including visits to Radipole Lake as well as Arne, etc. Bit I’m not looking forward to the visit with just viewing screens.

• Hello Ian,

I am afraid that we had to close our last hide as it had become dangerous and was condemned after 30 years of good service. Unfortunately as we are an open access, urban reserve we suffer from vandalism and arson to our infrastructure. The substantial viewing screens provide excellent opportunities for viewing the wildlife whilst minimizing the risk to the reserve and its wildlife.  

There is still a fantastic array of species to be seen at both RSPB Radipole Lake and RSPB Lodmoor! RSPB Radipole has had a fantastic autumn for Bearded Tits with one of our guided walks turning up 70+ in just an hour. Not to mention the Marsh Harriers, Cetti's Warbler and Kingfisher that are regularly seen on the reserve. RSPB Lodmoor has had a cracking year with several rarities turning up, including Least and Stilt Sandpipers,and at the moment a Lesser Yellow Legs that has been around for several weeks!

We look forward to your visit,

Ed Chivers

Visitor Experience Officer