Where has our community gone!

Hi group members,

long time no hear!  way back in the spring our community pages were coming to life with lots of shiny new members like Ponty Cyclops and Bill Oddie's Beard all chirping away. Then came the changes to our pages and we all went quiet - probably like me, scratching your heads and wondering how to work the damn thing again...

So now we've got used to the look of it and I'm hoping you'll all migrate our way again - or are you all in moult?? Sulking in the bushes?  I'd like to hear where you've been this summer and what you've seen ( with or without feathers!!). In particular, If you've seen something really good you think we should include on Wallasea - it would help me in my plans for the public facilities!

Hoping you'll all come flocking back now Autumn is on its way....

cheers

H

• HI Jim,

glad to hear of your gospel spreading!  We will have a hog roast, beer tent and lots more fun on September 22nd &23rd for our Wild Coast Weekend - and the sentry boxes will be in place!!  Unfortunately they cost a bomb ( where there's muck there's brass) so they are not permanent. Those will come in the fullness of time, especially if our visitors keep writing in and demanding them  ;)

Hope you will return soon

H

• Sorry Dave, responsible dogwalkers are welcome too, along the public footpath only though. We plan an enclosed dog exercise area near the gate for development soon.   Its a big island, so there will be plenty of room for everyone!!

cheers

H

• Hopefully they will be kept on a lead. I am a dog lover and former dog owner but I'm afraid to say I have found "responsible" dog owners to be the rarest of breeds in my part of South Essex!

• Hi Hilary,

The wife and walked and walked the sea wall Saturday, over the conveyor belt and round to the workmans portacabin. (river roach)  The tide was out but on the turn.  Absolutely knackered, saw yellow wagtails, linnet, corn bunting and reed buntings.  A few redshanks and black tailed godwits were feeding.  10.30 am - 1400hrs.  It really wasn't a pleasant day.

Observations: a temporary hide or shelter would be good to eat sandwichs and have a respite from wind and weather.  The stairs over the conveyor could be tricky for our four-legged friends, gaps on tread could cause a paw injury.  Once again the wife complained about the lack of a convenient loo.  Perhaps a temporary plumb into workers portacabin could be arranged.

Thanks and Take Care

Neighbourhood Jim

• Hi Jim,

sorry my reply was delayed, been on hols :)

Also sorry our wallasea weather was playing up when you came down to us.  Also worth checking the tide tables on the Crouch Harbour Authority website as it can go out a long way and the birds with it!

As to the hides etc. - as you know this is the very early stages of the project so a long way off being a proper reserve with all that entails. However, I am also keen to get shelter and toilets for our hardy visitors as soon as possible, so am nagging anyone who'll listen at the moment and hope to get something sooner rather than later.  The stairs too are about to be covered with slip-proof decking as soon as the local chippie can get it done, so little paws can trot over - I'm lucky as the all-weather dog is small enough to lift over, but wouldn't like to try it with a retriever.

As before, I can recommend the marina bar for the T&P ;)

oh and do try and come along for our Wild Coast Weekend coming up on the 22nd and 23rd September - there'll be a whole row of portaloos and lots more besides.....

cheers

H