Disabled access to the beach at Titchwell

I have a friend who loves nature but is confined to an electrically-powered wheelchair when he goes out and about.
This friendship has made me more aware of the problems that wheelchair users face, and so I was really pleased when the main path at Titchwell was resurfaced a while back, and made a smoother ride for wheelchairs.
Unfortunately, this smooth ride has to end just as the wheelchair user comes within earshot of the waves breaking on the beach, as for months there has been too much loose sand covering the last few metres of the path before it reaches the beach viewing platform.
Just shovelling the sand away would not achieve much, as I believe it would soon return from the dunes through which the path is cut.

Are there any plans/ideas for keeping the path to the beach clear to enable birders on wheels to enjoy the viewing platform?

• Hello Snettisher

Thanks for the positive feedback on the new path. I to am a little frustrated with the current situation with the access to the beach for wheelchairs. We have always been very proud of the unique access we provide for wheelchair user to get down to the beach. As you rightly point out the current situation is not sustainable and in fact for a few months during the spring we were trying to halt the inevitable by shovelling out the sand. Plans are:

a   better communication about the issues both on site and through the web/blog

b   investigate solutions to problem over the next few months

Current indications are that the solution will need to be a bit of a compromise so watch this blog for news later in the autumn.

Thanks

Robert

• Hi-

how about solving two problems in one ; Build a bigger higher viewing platform ( current one only holds about 10 people )  for sea watching and access it with a long sloping walkway from the boardwalk.

S

• Thank you Robert - it's good to know you're aware of this problem, and I'll be watching the blog for good news.

I really like the suggestion from seymouraves - the present viewing platform is often full (with a couple of 'scope tripods there, there's no more room left for a wheelchair, even if it could get there). A much larger platform with sand-proof access would be a very popular feature. If there were an appeal for funds to build it, I'd certainly chip in!