Duck behaviour?? Posted to the The Tea Rooms

We spent a morning at Titchwell  last week. On the way back from the beach we stopped on the path and had a seat just off the boardwalk and looking out there was a goup of ducks, mallard, teal and wigeon all doing the same thing.  They were running, well waddling to the water edge, drinking and waddling back up onto banking where they seemed to empty their beaks, guddle about in the grasses for a few seconds and waddle back to the water edge to repeat the whole thing over and over.

I was fascinated.  Couldn't scope them cos my ED50 which I've had for 6 years finally gave up the ghost. The bit for mounting the tripod plate, came out, (it was only a coiled spring, which I was surprised about) -  so had to rely on my bins, and was unable to make out what they were doing on the banking.It seemed like they were 'washing' the grass seed, which I;m sure they weren't, but hope someone gets the picture I;m trying to translate and is able to help

• Hi Soosin

Not sure I will be much help but we have been having fun trying to interpret this behaviour. They seem to feeding on the purple glasswort which is a saltmarsh plant which produces very small seeds. We were wondering if they using the water to help get at or make the seeds more palatable. The water in the marsh is quiet salty so it isn't that they need a drink!

Keep an eye on the blog because if we get a definitive answer we'll probably put something on there.

cheers

Robert

• Thanks for that Robert.  So glad others are trying to interpret it.  I was fascinated. 

Looking forward to hearing outcome.  I might apply for a research grant to do it lol 

Susan