Snettisham 21st November - part 2

Still raining, still gloomy we took welcome shelter in a hide to view the activity on the freshwater lake adjacent to the Wash mudflats. Again the quality of the photos is compromised by the conditions (as well as my questionable skills, so double jepoardy lol).

Lapwing and Wigeon

Herring? Gull

Adult and juvenile Mute Swans with Goosander (?) in background

Brent Geese in flight

and finally a beautiful male Goldeneye

Still only 8.30am, we trudged back to our cars - inspired by the thought of the breakfast included in the cost of our tour. What a bargain! And after a short drive to the adjacent Poppyfields Garden Centre and Tea Rooms we were treated to an extremely pleasant and welcome full English. And so ended a memorable morning in excellent company which had proved well worth the cost and the effort regardless of the conditions. Thanks to our guides and also apologies as your names have completely escaped my mind - but I'll never forget the experience you so kindly and expertly provided.

So it's 9.30 in the morning, the rain has eased and we're 125 miles from home. What next? Titchwell itself of course! But more of that later.

• More lovely species and I particularly love the Brent Geese which I don't see very often and the stunning Goldeneye.  As for the full English, you certainly deserved it after such an early start and long drive in challenging conditions.  Looking forward to the next post and Titchwell :)

• Me too, looking forward to the Titchwell report.

Hazy, Have a look at the Frampton Marsh blog, currently second to bottom in the blog list on the right hand side of the first page--maybe you should go there next!

• Unknown said:
    Hazy, Have a look at the Frampton Marsh blog, currently second to bottom in the blog list on the right hand side of the first page--maybe you should go there next!

Wow !   what a bird fest, wouldn't know where to start, now I know where all the N.West birds have disappeared to   lol       Pity its so far away or we'd be there tomorrow  !     At least weather is looking better from tomorrow.

• More intrepidness Ian, where did you get the energy to go on to Titchwell ... maybe I'd better start eating 'full English!' Lol

• Thanks all, I have to say Wendy I don't make a habit of the 'full English' but as an occasional treat it certainly hits the spot!

Hazel I totally agree with Ann, I've been to Frampton and it's well worth a visit. I first saw Brents there - and on that subject there are more in the Titchwell report coming later today!