Autumn Trail and Wings Over Titchwell

We managed to walk the Autumn Trail on our last visit and if you get a chance don't miss it (it closes at the weekend for this year). Its a quieter part of the reserve (east out past Patsy's Pool) with a couple of benches or you can stand to look out over the reserve - a different view. At the end is a sheltered area of reed that was recommended to us as a potential spot to see bearded tits. We thought we'd only hear them pinging given the wind but were lucky enough to see four flying briefly. Closer views over the end of the Freshwater Marsh. We also did the Wings over Titchwell walk which they now offer on Saturday afternoon and saw over 60 species. Richard not only pointed out the birds but gave some history of Titchwell and suggestions for other local birding spots. Even if you've been coming to the reserve for some time I would recommend the guided walk.
  • Hello Aylward

Many thanks for your kind comments about your time at Titchwell, I will pass them on to Richard at the weekend.

Autumn Trail gives you an opportunity to get away from everything and visit a quiet part of the reserve and provides a great opportunity to see some of the more elusive species like bittern and bearded tit.

Best wishes

Paul

• I'm going to titchwell this Friday so will the autumn trail still be open, last time I tried it was flooded. Any suggestions what we should be looking out for would be great.

Thanks

• Hi Tony

The Autumn Trail will be open until November 1st.

The end of the trail has been good in  recent weeks for bearded tit on the edge of the viewing area. If you walk up onto the seawall (known as the Briarfields extension) the ditches in the reedbed can be good for water rail. If you are there towards the end of the day, keep an eye open for marsh harriers coming in to roost.

Good luck

Paul