Titchwell Tits?

I'm in Titchwell for a few days and wondered if anyone who knows the reserve well could give me some hints as to where i might find a bearded tit or two? Times of day? location? calling? anything would be greatly appreciated!
  • Hiya, I don't profess to know the reserve too well, and there are certainly others on his forum that are regulars to the site, however the last time we were there which was at the beginning of November we had two encounters with the Beardies. First time was as we were walking down towards the beach but still at the visitor centre end of the path, just as the trees end there are some reed beds on the left, I very briefly saw a male in there.

The second was along the path if you turn right at the visitors centre and follow that all the way out, past the hide then past the pond with the two viewing screens on and heading towards the viewing hide at the back of the main lagoon. There was an extension to the footpath opened off to the right that was up on the embankment. In those reedbeds there right at the start of the extension, we were surrounded by a small flock of them.

We did not see them there but they were very vocal. To get an idea of what you are listening for  you could try Xeno-Canto if you are not sure of the call just to get familiar with it, the one that no one ever mentions though is they "trill" a little like the Long Tail Tits do. very quietly and it seems when they are close to each other where the "Ping pong" call seems to be used when they are further apart.

Sorry I cant remember the names of the hides but I hope some of this helps a bit and that you get to spend some time with them.

• Don't worry, I know the hides you mean! thanks very much that will help for sure. Will have a good hunt tomorrow :)

• Hi-   about 30 yards before 1st hide on RH side  BUT they don't like wind.

S

• S, I had noticed that we have never seen them on the windy days but as we have only rarely seen them anyway wasn't sure about it being weather related, I thought they just didn't like us!!!!! However now you mention that fact it does make sense as our best ever day for them was a still and warm day.