• Autumn colours with Essex libraries

The approach and onset of Autumn brings with it great splashes of colour as the leaves change from greens to a blaze of reds, oranges, yellows and so many mixtures of shades in-between. Along with this change of colour come changes in wildlife as it needs to prepare itself for winter.

What a rich area of activity this could provide for children’s events around the half-term break. So, with Essex Library Service looking…

• Four spoonbills on Bowers Marsh

The opening of Bowers Marsh was celebrated with the arrival of four spoonbill, giving great views on the edge of the main freshwater lagoon. A juvenile glossy ibis has also been popping in and out of Bowers Marsh and has also been seen flying over Vange Marsh. The ibis has been quite mobile, although is still being seen occasionally on Bowers Marsh, so keep your eyes peeled!

Spoonbill by Dave Gonning

Winter wader…

• Giving Nature a Home in the South Essex Wildlife Garden - September/October 2013

Reasonable weather for much of this period kept some of our summer visitors hanging around and we still had Chiffchaff and Blackcap in the garden well into October. Goldfinches have started feeding on the Teasel heads in front of the Visitor Centre window giving good views.

Butterflies were also active with Speckled Wood, Red Admiral and Gatekeeper seen. At the end of October we found a Peacock butterfly hibernating…

• Project Wild Thing

On Thursday evening I was invited by the National Trust to attend a screening of Project Wild Thing at the Anglia Ruskin University as part of the Chelmsford Ideas Festival. I was also invited to participate as a panel member in some discussion afterwards about the film and how we can work to reconnect children and nature. Connecting children to nature is a subject close to my heart and one reason I work for a charity…