Feeding Birds in Shetland

Everytime I put out food about 20 starlings appear and its gone in seconds.  How do I feed birds in such a way that the sparrows, wrens,and blackbirds get a chance?

• Hello Massie

I just noticed your query, so sorry for a late response.

I have a similar mix of birds that visit my garden.  Starlings are a favourite of mine, but it does seem unfair on the other birds to  miss out.  I learned from my parents' neighbour to feed the blackbirds later in the evening.  Starlings generally go to bed earlier than blackbirds, so that could be a help.  For wrens, I sometimes put food for them in cracks in my drystone wall.  I find that "my" starlings don't care to go on the ground underneath trees, but sparrows and blackbirds do.  So, if you've got trees or bushes, try putting some food there.  Otherwise, could you rig some sort of "canopy" up?

Some folk have found that starlings don't like peanut feeders, but the ones which visit my garden have no problem with them.  I see sparrows and starlings on the same feeder occassionally (or the sparrow waits on the ground waiting for titbits).

I hope this has been of some help to you.

All the best, Helen