• Happy Birthday Peerie Puffin

Today is the one month birthday of the peerie puffin.  Last week however, I was not sure whether we would reach this landmark.  On Friday, local boys Ryan and Arron Peart were in the Engine Room watching the puffin camera at our Date With Nature.  They (along with the internet viewers) were the first witnesses of something quite amazing.  "A big puffin is strangling the little one," are words I never expected to hear…

• Sadness and celebrations

It's been really windy in Shetland, whipping the sea up on the southwest.  I took a walk along the West Voe beach this bright and breezy morning.  It was, as always, a joy to watch the Arctic terns, Arctic skuas and eider ducks as I wandered.  I cast my eyes along the sand, looking for whatever is to be revealed.  There is usually flotsam and jetsam (which sounds to romantic a phrase for all the rubbish that gets washed ashore…

• Puffin camera

Hello

Apologies if you have been unable to view the puffin camera. There has been some problems with BT's lines, which we are hoping to be fully mended soon.  I think it is fantastic that so many people are watching.  After a wee plug on Radio 4s "Saturday Live" (thanks Fi!), we had more than 2000 hits in a couple of hours!

We have received some concerned emails and phone calls about the puffincam chick…

• Baby Puffin

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3KTBRn5S_qE

Our friends at Promote Shetland (who kindly supported our Date With Nature at Sumburgh Head through providing the technological side of things) have posted the above footage on You Tube.  It's just minutes before the lovely Kay Hall called me to tell us she'd seen the chick. 

Away from puffins for a moment...  Field teaching is an important strand of the work of the RSPB…

• (Egg) BREAKING NEWS

Our puffin chick has hatched!!!!!

I took a call from Kay Hall of Reading at lunchtime.  She has been following the webcam, and thought she would have it on whilst doing her ironing.  Kay had watched the adult get up and saw the small black chick, still looking damp from hatching.  I was delighted to hear from Kay (who has Shetland roots, with relatives still living in the islands including her Aunty Joan and Aunty Maisie), and…

• Simmer Dim

Hello

Because of our northerly location (60Degrees), Shetland remains light late into the night.  We call this half-light "Simmer Dim."  It helps create a special atmosphere when out enjoying the wildlife.  It  also means that we can watch puffincam fairly late into the evening.  Although, I find it does look a little like a pregnancy scan come this time of night.

I admit to being a bit obsessed with watching the…

• Where did May go?

Hello

FIrstly apologies for lack of blog posts. It's been a hectic time in Shetland.  We'll up date soon, with photos from what's been happening.  FOr now though, I just want to make sure you know about puffin cam.

The puffin camera (www.rspb.org.uk/shetlandsummer or www.shetland.org) is a huge success.  If you haven't looked at it, then do so now!  Or after you've read the rest of this entry.  The chick…

• Posing puffin

Last night when I left the office at Sumburgh Head, I took a quick peek over the wall to see what I could see.  Right in front of me was this peerie fellow ("peerie" in Shetland dialect means "small").  Excuse the quality of the picture, but I just wanted to show how close it was to the wall.

It's very easy to humanise puffins, perhaps because they walk upright and have a curiosity about them.  But…

• Mousa - first trip of the year -

On April 1st, Tom Jamieson starts up his ferry service to Mousa.  And so yesterday, we made our first trip of the year to Mousa RSPB nature reserve.  It was a blustery crossing on the Solan IV, with quite a swell.  It is always great to get back to Mousa. 

The first birds we saw were some eiders, shags, a robin, chiffchaff and various gulls.  The shags (or scarfs as we call them in Shetland) are looking particularly gorgeous…

• Welcome to Shetland

Hi

Welcome to the Shetland group.  We'll be updating you about what's happening on our Shetland reserves, particularly now spring is officially upon us (?!).   We've had an equinox gale, and there are more to come.  It won't be long until puffins are back at Sumburgh Head, waders displaying at Spiggie and Mousa will be brimming with life.

For a taster of all things Shetland, watch "Simon King's Shetland Diaries…