The RSPB rather lax in checking whether a visitor to Saltholme is a member of the RSPB or a non-member

I find the RSPB rather lax in checking whether a visitor is a member of the RSPB or a non-member. I've been reading in a thread how the RSPB don't check if someone is a member or a non-member of the RSPB when parking there car free as a member or whether they are a non-member and should pay the car parking fee. The RSPB never seem to check whether someone is a member or not of the RSPB and seem to be relying in there honesty. I'be just returned from the Isle of Arran and the day before we travelled on the ferry to Arran the our RSPB Group visited RSPB reserve Lochwinnoch and I was greatly shocked that the staff and volunteers never checked our RSPB membership cards and there where at least 2 of our visiting Group non members of the RSPB who where honest enough to say they where non-members of the RSPB and they paid the entrance fee. Compare that to the National Trust and the Wildfowl Trust of which those 2 organisations are very strict about checking membership cards. The National Trust always check Members cards for free admission and that organisation are very strict about checking National Trust members cards and if anyone has forgotten there National Trusts membership cards, those members have to pay the admission charge to a National Trust property with an admission charge. The Wildfowl Trust always scan members, membership cards for free admission. I'm very disappointed by the way RSPB staff and RSPB volunteers never seem to check RSPB members, membership cards, relying on non-members honesty. Maybe it's about time the RSPB changed there policy on alway checking RSPB's membership cards for free admission to an admission fee RSPB reserve

• Hi Ian, Yes we are a trusting lot at the RSPB (to a fault perhaps) but the point is well made that not all of the public are as honest as we would expect. At Saltholme we do like to check that members cards are up to date. We also like to thank members for their support so it is good to know who is an RSPB member from that perspective too. Many of our visitors are `regulars` and I do accept that it is good customer care to acknowledge our regular RSPB members who are familiar to the reception team.

All members should be pleased that we take the time at Saltholme to check the currency of membership details; this ensures that the membership benefits are allocated to the right people.

Supporting the RSPB through membership is one of the best ways the public can help nature conservation.