Glossy Ibis at Saltholme

Had a wonderful day at Saltholme on Sunday. The highlight being The Glossy Ibis out in the open.
Hope you enjoy the photos

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
~ Mark Twain

• Great pics JM, love the way you have captured the iridescence of its' feathers, a truly handsome & imposing bird!  Had one at a fairly local reserve earlier this year but never got to see it!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• That bird, we have been to see it twice, then got a call it was in North Yorkshire, went there, then it had moved up near Ripon, now the little beggar is back where it started, thats presuming its the same bird, but well done JudiM lovely pictures.

• Nice pics, Judi.

I was there a couple of weeks ago and saw this bird on a couple of occasions from the Phil Stead hide. Didn't manage to get any pics though.

It really is a stunner when seeing it close up.

Lovely.

I just started a Flickr feed  recently (Although I've had an account since 2011) 
    Please take a look and tell me what you think.

• We were just down from the Phil Stead hide at the viewing platform, waiting for the centre to open. Otherwise we would have probably missed it

Of all creatures, man is the most detestable, he is the only creature that inflicts pain for sport, knowing it to be pain.
    ~ Mark Twain

• We had great views of the Ibis today on the Fire Station pool in front of the viewing screen also Little Egret showing here.Had a good day on the reserve though I was a bit limited as to how far I could walk we managed the Viewpoint and Saltholme hides We were slightly disappointed with the lack of waders but maybe the good weather had encouraged them to keep moving on but we managed to find 5 Ruff out on the causeway and a posing Kingfisher was good to see.As usual the grub was good and the staff and vols as welcoming as ever.Due to a few health problems this was our first visit of the year but hope to get at least one more visit in this year maybe at the back end when the bigger numbers of geese are in and we can find time to visit Dormans Pool,oh and a cream crowned Marsh Harrier passed over the main road,nice fly past to finish the day.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• Sounds as if you had a fruitful trip S ... more Kingfisher sightings!  Must go to Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry this weekend!

2013 photos & vids here

eff37 on Flickr

• WendyBartter said:

Sounds as if you had a fruitful trip S ... more Kingfisher sightings!  Must go to Stodmarsh/Grove Ferry this weekend!

Must admit this has been one of our best years for Kingfishers we struggled to see any last year.Right place at right time this year I suppose.

Pete

Birding is for everyone no matter how good or bad we are at it,enjoy it while you can

• What a shame we missed you Seaman

~ Mark Twain