Kingfishers

• In reply to Alan:

Do you know Nick Garbutt by any chance Ian

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan:

If he is the chap who spent some time with the Snow Leopards in Ladakh then I think we have met.  

• In reply to Ian M:

Yep he's the one I know his mum and she's always making me jealous telling me about his trips abroad.

Hope you have a great time...and remember don't hog the chairs LOL.

My Flickr photos

• In reply to Alan:

Firstly can I please urge participants to remain on the thread of the discussion.  I believe all of us can agree that Rye Meads is a special place and because of that it is a popular place to visit. Here we are again with the same concerns over overcrowding at the kingfisher hide.

This has been raised at least over the past 3 years to my knowledge. RSPB know there is a problem of overcrowding at the hide, plans to alter to accommodate more people, build a new one have been put to RSPB Sandy. Only they can make a decision. What has happened - NOTHING in regard to the hide so the issue remains. Until those who manage the purse strings at Sandy choose to address the needs of those that actually provide the money to support RSPB nothing will change.

• In reply to madaboutbirds:

....which is all the more reason to be considerate of other visitors and afford them the chance to view the wildlife.

• In reply to Alan:

Many thanks for the kind offer up in Sheffield. My wife and I have been RSPB members for many years and very much enjoy the facilities and environment provided on the many reserves we have visited. On this recent visit I was with some of my walking colleagues on one of our occasional photo walks where we like to take our time to capture the sights in our North Hertfordshire area. We've had several glimpses of kingfishers as we've walked along the rivers in the area, so thought Rye Meads would make a special photo opportunity for them to see the birds close up. Unfortunately the visit wasn't as rewarding as I'd hoped.

• In reply to Alan:

Please turn up every morning you would be welcome, and just for your information, I am not their day myself.

• In reply to Ian M:

Ian M, you are so right I don't lug a 600mm lens around, it actually an 800mm lens to set that part of the record straight, I also have photographed Orangutans in the Borneo jungles myself, for a charity just to set the record straight, just so you know, when others turn up, I for one move up wherever possible and also try to encourage youngsters by sharing images with them, by the way I find your comments inappropriately boorish.Enough said.

• In reply to rayk:

If only I believed you Ray....... LOL

• In reply to Ian M:

Ian M you can believe what you wish, the thing is, I can back up with fact all I said!!!