Kingfishers

• In reply to Ian M:

Ian M, you have just crossed the line by making things personal, don't push your luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

• In reply to rayk:

Or what Ray? Another veiled playground threat from you? You grow more pitiable with each posting. You have demonstrated everything I said above - your punctuation, syntax and grammar clearly show you are semi- literate; you have never pretended to be anything other than a know-all completely lacking contrition on this thread and clearly have a chip on your shoulder the size of Everest. Why not just keep the promise you made yesterday not to "bother to talk to you guys anymore" and we will all be happy.    

• In reply to Ian M:

This has been an interesting thread to follow.  I've never actually visited Rye Meads, but I do spend a lot of time at Minsmere so I am familiar with the sorts of problems that can be experienced by people in popular hides (typically it's those after Bitterns at Minsmere).

My philosophy is simple - I am a regular visitor and have lots of opportunities to get great Bittern shots, so if the hide gets busy I'll stick the camera on its tripod out of the way at the back and help others to see the wildlife on offer instead.  I'm very conscious of the fact that people can get irritated by (in escalating order) photographers, photographers machine gunning, photographers with big lenses, so I try to make sure that people come away with a positive memory of the hide/reserve and photographers especially.

Many visitors are not dedicated birders willing or able to get up at the crack of dawn, but it is the responsibility of all of us regulars to try and encourage them to see the wonder of the natural world.  If that means coming home with no pictures that day, but I've helped awaken an enthusiasm for nature in someone, I view that as a day well spent.  I also think that the bigger your lens and the more frequently you visit, the MORE responsibility you have to behave in this way - in the same way that those in the public eye need to maintain higher standards of behaviour, those of us with ostentatious hardware need to be setting an example as well.

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Well said Joe. I hope my comments on hide behaviour have reinforced your eloquently phrased philosophy.  

• In reply to Ian M:

Ian M said:
    I hope my comments on hide behaviour have reinforced your eloquently phrased philosophy.

It's just nice feeling you've helped make someone's day.  A few weeks ago, a chap came into the hide and was over the moon because he saw his first ever Avocet (it had been a bogey bird for him for years).  He took loads of pictures, but was limited to a 300mm zoom, so I lent him the biggie to stick on the front of his camera.  To be honest it was borderline bonkers - had to swivel the lens to portrait to get the Avocet in - but he ended up with some amazing close up shots to remind him of the day :-)

___

Find me on Flickr / All about your camera - The Getting off Auto Index

• In reply to Whistling Joe:

Yes, there is a lot of pleasure to be had from making someone's day, from helping them experience something new and exciting. Sadly, kindness is an increasingly scarce commodity nowadays.   In the words of the ancient Chinese proverb, may your depth of field always be appropriate Joe.

• In reply to Ian M:

Hello,

Please can I remind everyone of our terms and conditions and how we ask people to be respectful of one another. Because this thread has deteriorated, we have taken the decision to lock it.