Kingfishers

• In reply to Saffy:

RayK - I support the reserve in that I pay my fees as do many others.  I am wondering how else you support the reserve apart from paying fees, do you do voluntary work there?  If yes, then obviously that is to be applauded, if not then you are no different from anyone else paying their fees !

Your comment about my understanding the full facts regarding the lens, well what's to understand?  Furthermore I am not quite sure who you think you are you to tell me not comment !  I am entitled to my opinion as are others, if you don't agree with it that's fine.

• In reply to Saffy:

I'd just like to draw all your attention (s?) to the excellent Rye Meads Flickr group...

www.flickr.com/.../2352018@N20

No pretentions, no posturing, just people posting photos to show the diversity of this reserve. Please feel free to join our 82 members and add to the 1200+ photos already on there, we do not judge but like to congratulate!

• In reply to Saffy:

Saffy,

Like you I pay my fees as do you, what else do I do, I will tell you, but you will probably not think much of it, I along with two others set up the "Friends of Rye Meads" Facebook group www.facebook.com/.../1659728760954900 this was done to promote and inform about the reserve, this was done with the full knowledge and consent of the RSBP, further to that, and I and others have helped get the more natural perches changed at the Kingfisher hide, this again was done in conjunction with the RSPB. Is this enough for you?, also I am entitled to my opinion as are others, if you don't agree with it that's fine.

• In reply to rayk:

RayK - many thanks for the link, most interesting.  I shall bookmark it and look forward to seeing your contributions.  As said by Matt T re: the Flickr group, it shows the diversity of the reserve as indeed does this Facebook site.   I look forward to seeing yours.

• In reply to Saffy:

Have we all put our handbags away? Is it safe to come out?

At the end of the day, the RSPB's primary responsibility is to the protection of birds. We should count ourselves lucky that the RSPB allow us to donate to the society in order to provide some much love for the birds.

Come on everyone... Group hug.... :)

• In reply to prash:

I will, will others :-)

• In reply to rayk:

Rayk I find your attitude a bit selfish to be honest. I have been photographing Kingfishers at Ryemeads for many years. I  realise it can become an obsession to some but I would always give my seat up after having got a view, especially to a youngster or somebody who has never seen these beautiful birds. As for people being lazy and not getting there early maybe they work nights. Or perhaps they should set their alarms 30 mins earlier than yours and let you stand at the back for the day?

• In reply to dave c:

A point well made Dave.

• In reply to dave c:

Do you know what, in all the years I have been going to Rye Meads I have NEVER seen anyone give up their seat, stop being so self righteous,  I would welcome anybody to set their alarm 30 minutes ahead of mine, I have got one nerve and you are getting on it...

• In reply to Ian M:

You think