This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Kingfishers

A great visit recently to Rye Meads with a small group and the highlight of kingfishers from the excellent hide near the bank. Unfortunately very few of us managed to get any photos of them as the hide was full of people who did not give up their places when we arrived and produced our cameras. After talking to the centre staff afterwards it seems some people arrive there early in the day and "camp" for long periods without offering a temporary spot for others to enjoy the wonderful views of the birds as they go from hide to hide. It would be much appreciated by visitors if there could be more sharing in the hides as advised on the information boards on the site.
  • Hi this is one reason i don't go there at weekends any more. Unfortunately its the same faces most weekends. maybe they need to think about putting a member of staff in the hide and not allowing people "camp" for long periods.

• Is it easier during the week? I was at Rye Meads in April on a Friday and there were only 3 of us in the hide at about 10:30AM. Or is it the same weekdays now the Kingfishers have young? I couldn't decide between Rye Meads and Fowlmere last Friday and decided on Fowlmere (where I did in fact see a lone Kingfisher) but I thought I might try Rye Meads again after the school half term week on a Friday or Monday.

• Sorry to say Christopher Y but you are not going to like this reply, we are all paying members and are all entitled to the same privileges, some of us can get out of bed in the morning, if you can't or won't that is your problem, why should we have to move for you, instead of complaining to the staff get up earlier or buy an alarm clock, I myself drive 30 miles each way to get there and I am always there before it opens, often before the staff arrive, we are not camping!!!! I am well aware that this post will upset others, sorry but it needs to be said.