Afternoon everyone,

How are you today?

It's a lovely sunny day, and the reserve is looking lovely (maybe I'm a tad bias, but it does look brilliant!)

It was a tad chilly this weekend, but that didn't stop us from seeing loads! I wanted to share some of the wildlife highlights...

The waders are doing well - lapwings are showing off nicely, getting ready for the breeding season (fingers crossed!)

I had to share these couple of pictures as they are awesome...

Picture by David Dent

Picture by Lee Spence

Other waders over the weekend included oystercatcher, grey plover, bar and black tailed godwit, whimbrel, dulin, little ringed plover, avocet, and redshank.

Bearded tits have been seen in a couple of places - between the Purfleet and Marshland hides, and the Dragonfly Pools. Wheatear and whinchat were spotted as well - the best place seemed to be along the river wall.
  Picture by Lee Spence

Cettis warbler has been yelling at people all over the reserve for a little while, but other smaller birds like whitethroat, black cap, sedge warbler, and  grasshopper warbler (either from the river wall or along towards the Marshland Hide).

The hirundines are starting to arrive - so keep your eyes to the skies... Swallow, and sand martin were seen.
  Mark Vale got this lovely shot the other day.

Birds of prey flying over the reserve were the regular kestrel and marsh harrier, but we also had lovely views of buzzard, peregrine, barn owl and hobby.

The first cuckoo of the season (I think) was seen at the Stone Barges on Saturday - but seen in the woodland on Sunday!

Over the river we had common tern, little gull, and Mediterranean gull.

The water voles have started venturing out now that the weather is getting nicer - have a look along side the ditches. A few people have mentioned about the grass snakes too so keep looking for those also. The marsh frogs have started their strange croaky laugh that for me is the sounds of Rainham in summer!

I hope you enjoy your week, and hope to see you soon!