On Wednesday I put out some apples on the fence below the centre for the birds. I was in a bit of a rush and simply pushed them on..... Friday lunchtime and not one had been touched so I asked David K to pop down with a knife and slice the top off each one to see if it made a difference. He had barely been back in the building when the Starlings descended and began scoffing with abandon! 

Next thing  you know they will be expecting us to cut it up into bill sized portions!

18-1-14

Parents
  • Hi Howard.

I found the same when I put them out last winter but I found the trick that worked for me was to pierce the apples all around about half a doven times. I had then the same result as you with Starling but also Bluetits as well as Fieldfares (in my garden) during the snows enjoying the bounty.

P.S can you put on your blog when the waters have dropped enough to be able to walk the full circuit without wellies thanks?

Comment
  • Hi Howard.

I found the same when I put them out last winter but I found the trick that worked for me was to pierce the apples all around about half a doven times. I had then the same result as you with Starling but also Bluetits as well as Fieldfares (in my garden) during the snows enjoying the bounty.

P.S can you put on your blog when the waters have dropped enough to be able to walk the full circuit without wellies thanks?

Children
No Data