After seeing (and smelling) some strange colouration in the water in some of our ditches, we have had it confirmed by the Environment Agency, that we do currently have some areas of the reserve with blue-green algae developing.

This organism develops in ditches and water bodies during high temperatures, and it can be toxic, especially to dogs.

As a precaution, please avoid any contact with any water out on the reserve.

Our summer pond dipping is not affected as we are using the self contained raised ponds in the Woodland Discovery Zone.

The picture below shows it at it’s most obvious, but it can still be present in the water without being as noticeable as this.

Anonymous