• New Years Day Opening Times

2018 is almost upon us... the last day of the year has been a little inclement at times but the Ravens still stole the show this afternoon..

Anyway... just a heads up that I shall be opening the reserve at 0700 tomorrow morning (Yes, I know it will be dark!) for all you early birders..

• Staff Spotlight #5 - Annie Jackson

So, introduce yourself... Who are you and what did you do before RSPB Rainham Marshes!

My name is Annie Jackson. I am a nature lover through and through and am especially fond of rats, slugs, all insects but particularly flies and all the stuff that people usually dislike. Up until I worked for the RSPB I would not have admitted that!

Hakushika Ginjou Nana - one of my lovely rats

My other passion in life is for…

• Sightings 28th December

Evening all...
    Some good stuff out there today in glorious winter weather and so pleased that two Short-eared Owls were seen by several visitors along the river wall. This is first confirmed sighting since the 13th November so hopefully they will stick around like previous winters...

Thursday 28th December 2017
    • RSPB Rainham Marshes: Woodcock, 2 Short-eared Owls, Barn Owl, 6 Ringed Plover, 5 Yellow-legged Gull, Firecrest…

• Post Christmas Sightings - 27th December 2017

Given the weather today the punters did ok!

Wednesday 27th December 2017

• RSPB Rainham Marshes: 2 Red-breasted Merganser, 37 Snipe, 12 Yellow-legged Gull, 1500 Black-headed Gull, 228 Dunlin, 333 Lapwing, 49 Teal, 100 Wigeon, 6 Reed Bunting, Water Pipit, 28 Gadwall, 12 Pintail, 7 Black-tailed Godwit, 5 Fieldfare, Common Buzzard, ad Mediterranean Gull, 17 Shelduck, 4 Marsh Harrier, Sparrowhawk, m Peregrine, 2 Pied…

• Christmas Opening 2017

Just a quick reminder of our opening times over this festive season:

• The reserve is closed on Christmas Day and Boxing Day.
    • The reserve will be open as usual (9.30 am-4.30 pm) all other days (including New Years Eve and New Year Day) over the winter holidays.

At this time of year (November-January) the visitor centre, car park and main exit road will be open from 9.30 am-4.30 pm.

The cafe opens at 10 am, food…

• Guest Blog: Solar Powered Water Pumps helping wildlife

Afternoon,

Andrew, our Site Manager, wanted to tell you about some exciting habitat management news. Take it away Andrew:

Breeding wader populations on the reserve have been steadily increasing over the last 6 years, and in 2017, there were 68 pairs of lapwing, and 53 pairs of redshank.

The previous focus for our habitat management has been Aveley Marsh, and this is where the breeding wader populations have been…

• A Walk In The Sun 18 December 2017

I managed a peasant crisp walk around the reserve yesterday morning with Simren in the hope of at last adding Kingfisher to her list. Despite the frozen conditions we got lucky and had a superb fly by at close range near the Reedbed Discovery Zone. She was over the moon at this flashing streak of blue and orange.

The Bearded Tits did not disappoint either and two males and female were seen at the Dragonfly Pool acrobatically…

• The Steps Series: The Water Pipit Challenge - how are we doing so far?

Afternoon everyone,

How are you today?

On the 10th December launched our first challenge in The Steps Series.

Water Pipit - Russ Sherriff

The Steps Series is a set of challenges – everyone can help us walk or run the same distance as a migratory route of one of Rainham’s wildlife visitors, or even distances to places - all your steps can count!
    Rainham Marshes is a great place to explore - being active…

• Today's sightings...

Just a quick note...

Friday 15th December 2017
    • RSPB Rainham Marshes: Firecrest, Water Rail, Great Spotted Woodpecker, 2 1stw, 1 2ndw Caspian Gull, 8 Yellow-legged Gull, 2 Raven, 9 Jackdaw, 3f2m Marsh Harrier, 2 Buzzard, pr Peregrine, 3 Kestrel, 400 Wigeon, 420 Teal, 22 Pintail, 3 Little Egret, 75 Black-tailed Godwit, 3 Bar-tailed Godwit, Golden Plover, 6 Curlew, 2 Grey Plover, 500 Dunlin, 19 Avocet, 21 Snipe, 2 Kingfisher…
  • Back to Nature Bootcamp Taster Session

Hi everyone,

How are you?

I just wanted to let you know that tomorrows Back to Nature Bootcamp session is being rescheduled - Robyn our lead is poorly! Feel better Robyn!

Excitingly we are re-scheduling for after Christmas...

Work of the holiday season with us!  On Saturday 6 January join us in a brand new Back to Nature Bootcamp session! Come along to these taster sessions to see what it’s all about – getting…

• Recent days... a wintery summery - 10th-14th December

With the recent snow and rain fall the reserve is starting to once again look like a winter marsh with water starting to appear and puddle up in all the right places. We have some new special pumps in place too but more of that in a future posting.

Centre in the snow -Nick Smith

The snowfall of Sunday 10th not only complimented our Christmas fair but prompted the Bittern that we did not know we had to make an appearance…

• Christmas Fair RSPB Rainham Marshes Sunday 10 December

Christmas Fair Indoors at RSPB Rainham Marshes Sunday 10 December

Missing the final present or two?
    Drop into our mini Christmas Fair where we will have a variety of crafts and gifts including: jewellery, cards, decorations, bags, dough craft, cosmetics, craft gin, wildlife art and photography, face painting, scrummy muffins, fossils, RSPB Shop (including optics) TuiNa massage tasters and more! The cafe will also have…