• Guest Blog: Meet Robyn....

We have a new member of the Rainham team! Meet Robyn, our new Active in Nature Development Officer.

She wanted to introduce herself to you all... take it away Robyn!

Hi everyone, I have recently joined the Rainham team as the development officer for the Active in Nature project, it has been a pleasure already getting out and about on the reserve getting to know you all and I look forward to continue doing so, if…

• Guest blog: Friday 29 September sightings by Pat Hart

Pat is one of our fabulous walk leaders, and he has written a blog about his day on Friday 29 September here at Rainham Marshes.

Take it away Pat!

RSPB Rainham Marshes - Friday 29th September

A warm, sunny periods and showers day. The pintail on Averley Flash is starting to show that he’s a male as he comes out of eclipse plumage.

Only 6 species of wader seen today but that included 15 Ruff (mostly juveniles…

• Leaving it late or timing it perfectly?

Every autumn or so we get a late juvenile Cuckoo and that usualy coincides with the emergence of the caterpillars of the quite scarce Reed Dagger moth which like the Oak Eggars and Drinkers in the spring and summer, seem to like crawling across the boardwalks as they move from one patch of reed to another.

Reed Dagger - John Ferguson

This makes them easy prey for a beady eyed and ever hungry Cuckoo who now has to…

• Time for a tidy up!

A couple of weeks ago we were joined for a day by a very keen bunch from the risk management team from Santander. Jamie set them to the task of clearing all the cut reed from the area just through the woodland which has been long deserving of a hair cut and this has opened up the whole area around the bird feeding station.

It is best to remove all the cut reed so that it does not build up a thick thatch of dead matter…

• A Nice Round 100...

I spent most of today stood on the riverwall just outside the centre engaging with almost 100 people while keeping my eyes to the skies, river and marsh. Amazingly by the end of the day we had clocked up a nice round 100 species across the site with about 90 of them from our viewpoint and the others out on the loop. If anyone saw a Whinchat or the Pintail today I would love to know!

Black Tern in the rain - Karl P…

• Autumnal Ambles

Yesterday afternoon I pottered out with Tony O'Brien to have a look at the juvenile Black Tern on Aveley Pool.  I had only seen it from the visitors centre and was lured by the lovely images others were getting. It had just stopped raining and the bushes were still dripping in the late afternoon sun and were occupied by a host of Long-tailed Tits and various warblers shaking water droplets from their plumage as they…

• New Dragonfly Pool Path Opening Later Today

You will have probably noticed that we have diverted a short section of the path near the dragonfly pool area. This is a permanent new route. It means we can remove nearly 30m of wooden boardwalk from the circuit. We have over a mile of wooden boardwalk around the reserve and the maintenance of this structure takes up a lot of time, resources and cost. The work party have done a great job over the last couple of years…

• Little Dipper...

With strong westerly winds at the moment things have gone a little quieter on the reserve but we have had a stunning juvenile Black Tern fishing on Aveley Pool for the last three days.

It is so delicate and buoyant and has been attracting a steady stream of admirers as it dips down to pick up surface morsels.

What a shot from John Humble

These four lovely shots by the finder - Dave Morrison

and this one…

• RSPB Rainham Marshes best kept secret from two wheels...17th of September

Rainham Marshes best kept secret

As most people who have visited us before know, the public access path that runs along the river wall lends itself to beautiful vistas of both the reserve and the River Thames estuary. It is a great place to watch the lapwing swoop and twirl over the reserve, spot the harbour seals basking across the river, and look out for waders at low tide.

However, what few people do know is that…

• The Fair That Was

It is now Monday evening and I have had a chance to wind down after a hectic but successful little autumn fair.

It started gloriously with no wind and blue skies which made setting up of gazebos at 6.30 in the morning a little more pleasurable - thanks to Rob, Nick and Barry for pitching in so early and we were treated to at least 26 hot air balloons drfting north-east across the reserve from the take off spot of City…

• Jobs on the doorstep of the reserve...

The RSPB is supporting the development of this aspect of the Thames Chase project and as such I thought you might be interested in the following...

The Land of the Fanns Landscape Partnership has secured £1.3million from the Heritage Lottery Fund to deliver a 5 year, £2.4m programme to discover, celebrate and restore one of the last remaining landscapes of London as it once was. Located on the edges of east London…

• Today's sightings and a fair reminder!

Thursday 7th September 2017

• RSPB Rainham Marshes: Garganey, 269 Teal, 3 Wigeon, 22 Gadwall, 13 Little Grebe, 5 Hobby, 4 Kestrel, Buzzard, 22 Black-tailed Godwits, Curlew, 2 Green Sandpipers, 17 Ringed Plover, 42 Lapwing, Kingfisher, 6 Bearded Tit, 19 Meadow Pipit, 9 Yellow wagtail, 4 Reed Bunting, 2 House Martin, 2 Lesser Whitethroat, 6 Whitethroat, 2 Blackcap, 5 Chiffchaff, Willow Warbler (HTV) 7 Whinchat (ATw, Ian…

• What's on this week and today's sightings....

Sorry for the late post but just a quick blog about some things that are on during the rest of this week!

• 1: Please spread the word about the Autumn Fair this Sunday 10 September. Weather is looking ok and we have nearly 30 stalls for you to visit and help support the RSPB.
    • 2: Jo Collins has her exhibition up in the Purfleet Hide this week and it is fab so a visit pre-fair is a must
    • 3: There are still tickets available…
  • OSSSSSPPPPPRRREEEEYYYYYY!!!!

Yesterday it was 'SPPPOOOONNNNBIIILLLLLL!!' and so today we went one better with a superb juvenile Osprey that dropped into Aveley Pool and spent 20 minutes not only circling around and hovering but she even made a concerted effort to catch a fish with a good splash dive into Aveley Pool.

Nearly all of us saw her from the visitors centre but John Humble was in the Butts hide and got these superb shots...