• October 2014 Monthly Summary

October was all about the Thames with a fantastic spell from the 9th when a Pomarine Skua headed up river but it was when the weather turned on the 12th that things started to happen with six Brent Geese and the last two Common Terns being logged. The following day was foul and a flock of 11 Great Skuas spiralling up river was exceptional with 68 Little Gulls heading out the other way to keep us looking. Four more Bonxies…

• More confused winds and sunny showers!

A funny old day with the weather but even so quite abit was still seen out on the trails with teh Ravens entertaining us all as soon as Sam Shippey had left for the day and at one stage we even hasd them tussling with the similar sized Egyptian Geese! I can safely say that this is not a species combination I have ever seen before...

From the comfort of my reception desk I managed to see Blackcap, Chiffchaff and Goldcrest…

• Want to work at Rainham! Catering Assistants needed!

We are looking for two people to join our staff team in the café!

We have two part time Catering Assistant positions.

We are looking for two Catering Assistants at our busy café at our Rainham Marshes nature reserve. The ideal candidates will be experienced in working in a demanding, hands on, customer facing operation, although full training will be given. The two available positions are; weekends only and…

• Wennington Works - An Update

Hello!

How are you today?

Nicole, the Warden, asked for some help yesterday - so I got my own personal truck tour of Wennington!

Well sort of - I had to drive... so not really a tour!

I have been on the off roading course so off we went in the tipping rain... Of all the days to get a tour... Ah well.

You might have seen the blogs about the works going on over on Wennington - we're creating a series of ne…

• Swinging round

21c on Friday 11c today.....  with persistent rain and low cloud.  Its started of light south easterly this morning but has now swung round to the west and at last the sun has peaked through.  The duck and geese out on Aveley have been very skittish but it seems to be helicopter disturbance rather than raptors which I reckon will have been keeping well out of the way today and are probably feeling a little puckish.

The…

• Ever Thought About Volunteering?

Volunteers are vital to our work. If you've only got an hour or several whole weeks there's always something you can do.

You can volunteer for us in hundreds of ways. Explore the RSPB volunteering pages to find an opportunity that suits you. Read our blog for the latest news and to see what volunteering is really like. Whatever you decide to do, you'll be helping our work for wildlife and the environment.…