Raptor rapture

It was raptor day on Otmoor today with SEVEN species seen. The day started well  at 8.00 am with a Short eared Owl hunting over Greenaways. Then Merlin being mobbed by a Lapwing over Big Otmoor. Peregrine circling over second screen. Added to these were sparrow hawk, Kestrel, Buzzard and Red Kite. Highlight of the day for me was a beautiful male Redstart hopping in and out of the blackthorn onto the path, near the end of the path to first screen (thanks Sue for putting me onto that one). lots of warblers around. With sedge warblers singing from various places. A nice view of one singing from top of bush behind first screen. A flock of one hunded or so fieldfare perched on tree tops just down from first screen. Little ringed plover on island from second screen. Six Wheatears from hide. Cuckoo calling from carpark field.

• Ahah!!! Yesterday we decided to betray Otmoor to go and see another RSPB reserve...and this is the punishment for us! Wish I had been there!

Glad to hear about all these raptors though, I believe we should see them as a symptom that there's plenty of life in general going on at Otmoor!