Facebook page for Otmoor and Farmoor

I have started a face book page for people to post pics and chat about pictures etc at Otmoor or Farmoor. I decided to do this as when i did a search there was nothing that was usable. If anybody wants to join in its.... https://www.facebook.com/groups/583749721674498/ Cheers
  • I don't know why the RSPB have Facebook, Twitter and areas of the UK for different reserves when everything could be put onto the RSPB community webpages as it's so friendly and informal as well as reserve blogs on the community pages.

• Personally, I think it is a good idea. Why not? most big companies and organisations use various channels to communicate with a public that is as vast as possible: a website, Facebook, Twitter, etc. The beauty of Facebook is that your friends can see what you share and "like" and hence they can develop an interest for something that they may have not considered before. If thsi helps attracting more young minds to the RSPB, then that's a good thing. If it doesn't, no harm done.

• thats the problem tho bob, nobody does. ive already had lots of people join and post pictures on the facebook page. i posted my otter pictures months ago on the rspb site, and there have been only 5 or 6 pics posted since, and 3 of them were me, and somebody else posted some starling pics, thats it. its not used in the same way that a social network site is. its not as intuitive.

• like i posted below, barely anybody posts on the otmoor rspb page and you cant chat back and forward and have discussions like face book.

• theres not a lot of point me discussing whats been seen at other sites when i volunteer and use otmoor mainly. its my closest site and i could find no community to chat and post pics and comment on them that was used. the rspb site for otmoor hasnt got a lot of pics posted on it. the reality is, its extra, not instead of, so if people dont want to use it, then they dont have to.

• Its not pressurising the RSPB thats going to work. And you cant pressurise people into using the site, as the amount of pics posted and discussions prove. The fact is, like it or not, facebook has 1.19 billion active users. The audience is already using facebook. People like facebook,everything you like is in one place. I can chat to my relatives in other parts of the world and the next second, see a nice pic from otmoor. Like i said above, its not instead of, its as well as. As form the RSPB, they do a brilliant job at otmoor, but the users dont actively use the otmoor rspb site en masse.

• my original reason for doing a facebook page was to try and get most of the 80 odd volunteers to interact, because while we all send our bird logs/reports into the rspb weekly, we never really get to know what others see. We dont see other wardens reports. I just thought it would be a good idea. Obviously some people dont agree.

• But at least im trying something

• I do see your point about the rspb site being the hub etc but unfortunately, for now, its not. Its not used a lot. Cheers for the input.