• Hobbies, hawkers, damsels and peas

Early summer is a great time to discover a wealth of wildlife at North Warren. While it can be a quieter time for birds, there are still several goodies to be found, and the insect and plant life is superb.

Most of the birds are busy with business of breeding. Birdsong is less now, as the adults must strive to find enough grubs to keep hungry chicks happy, but you can still hear the chattering of reed and sedge warblers…

• May at North Warren

I love North Warren in May. The hedgerows are in full bloom, as hawthorn blossom gradually replaces blackthorn, interspersed with pink crab apple and yellow gorse. Across the marshes, delicate pink cuckoo flowers dance, hoping to attract passing orange tip butterflies. Tree lupins along the old railway line may harbour jewel-like green hairstreak butterflies. Along the beach, huge clumps of sea kale sit like overgrown…

• early spring at North Warren

Welcome to the first recent sightings update for North Warren. I'll do my best to add records at least a couple of times a month, but I rarely get to visit this fabulous reserve myself to see what's about. From talking ot the warden today it sounds like I need ot make a visit soon. Here's a summary of recent sightings.

Duck numbers are falling rapidly, but there are still several wigeons, teals, gadwalls…