Goldcliff/Red Barn hide - advice needed.

Once a month we take our daughter to a Ballet course in Newport and have just 2 or 3 hours to visit the wetlands whilst she is dancing. I have loved the Goldcliff lagoons - but ask for advice as to what I might see at the other sites in the area. Having only a few hours at our disposal I've been reluctant to try anywhere else. (I've visited the reserve centre of course). Any advice really welcome.
  • The full range of local reserves of the Gwent Wildlife Trust is available here www.gwentwildlife.org/.../reserves Most are small reserves which can be explored in an hour or two at various times of the year, (of course ground conditions can be an issue at times)

The local Gwent Ornithological Society also produce a map of sites reserves and other s in the area here ... www.gwentbirds.org.uk/sites

There is a book on Birdwatching walks around gwent which may give ideas - currently not available from GOS but may be found at other stores if you can find it

http://www.gwentbirds.org.uk/publications?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=42&category_id=1