Goldcliff/Red Barn hide - advice needed.

Once a month we take our daughter to a Ballet course in Newport and have just 2 or 3 hours to visit the wetlands whilst she is dancing. I have loved the Goldcliff lagoons - but ask for advice as to what I might see at the other sites in the area. Having only a few hours at our disposal I've been reluctant to try anywhere else. (I've visited the reserve centre of course). Any advice really welcome.
  • Hello Robert,   As I've only ever visited Goldcliff (and Newport Wetlands) once before I am not the best to advise of other reserves in that area but hopefully if   john_l_uk   sees this post he has good knowledge of that area so will be able to give you more information.    At least this reply will get your post bumped back up to the top of the page in the hope one of the Goldcliff/N.Wetlands Community members see it !

• Thank you - when I said other sites in the area I really mean which other bits of the Goldcliff area are worth having a  look at - as I have seen several footpath signs along the road en route to the lagoon. Salt marshes/Red Barn? This is really what I need to know.

• John knows the area really well so fingers crossed he will see your request for information and respond.   It's a lovely area so hope you get to explore more of Goldcliff.  

• Hi Robert- I live in Cornwall now, but used to live in Rogerstone,Newport.Have you been to Magor Marshes? -a small reserve owned by the Gwent Wildlife Trust,not far from Goldcliff. I have a friend who lives near there and have been a couple of times,it's a nice little reserve and signposted off the main road through Magor

Jayne

• Thanks for the message - funnily enough my daughter's ballet course is at Rogerstone on the Wern Ind estate! No I don't know the Magor Marshes - could you tell me more?

Robert

• Seen yesterday.

N J Davies

Saturday, 26 November 2016

Red Barn Hide

Main Sighting: kingfisher

Fieldfares, redwings, continental race blackbird (black bill), 11 curlew, 198 wigeon, 152 teal, 2 shoveler, chiffchaff, buzzard, 3 cormorants, 81 Canada geese, 11 lapwing, water rail and a kingfisher.

• Thank you for that - my question - probably a stupid one - is am I likely to see more from Red Barn, or should I stick to the main lagoon hides - as my time is always limited to a couple of hours.

thanks again,

Robert.

• Very rare there is nothing on the main lagoons but not always something at Red Barn.

• Hi Robert, the Red Barn Hide is the best constructed hide in Newport, with views to three sides: the trouble is it is situated in the middle of a field  and so far away from the lagoons that it is only possible to glimpse distant views. I've seen Glossy Ibis on the distant lagoons there but I didn't get decent views until it moved to the pools adjacent to Boat Lane and those are best viewed from the lay-by on Goldcliff Road. When the warblers first arrive they often fill the trees around Red Barn Farm before moving on - so a window of just a few days.

Salt-Marsh Lane which becomes Fairfield Lane when it becomes pedestrian is excellent in the Spring and early summer and i've seen lots of birds there, including Tree Pipit, Meadow Pipit, Cetti's Warbler, Lesser and Common Whitethroat, Blackcap, Bullfinch, Greenfinch, Chaffinch, Long-Tailed Tit, Goldcrest, Wren, Cuckoo, Marsh Harrier, Buzzard, Tree-Creeper etc. Continuing to the end of there and turning right takes you down 'Fish House Lane' and that winds around to the visitor's centre. it can be impassably muddy in very wet weather. Really nothing that can't be seen in the other locations.

With regard to the Wetlands Centre the floating bridge is generally good for Bearded Tits in the breeding season. The area of brambles on the seaward side of the coastal path, just past the second transverse path at the power station end, is good for Linnet, Cetti's Warbler and Whitethroat (in the appropriate season) and in April you will often hear a Grasshopper Warbler in that area.

Hope that's enough info to be going on with.