Great White Egret - Goldcliff

I had a spin around Uskmouth this morning - lots of Goldcrests in the hedgerow by the car park and what sounded like a Firecrest mixed in. I didn't see any Winter Thrushes and unlike Monday I didn't see or hear any Beardies. There were a couple of Wigeon mixed in with Mallard on the high tide and a couple of Curlew down there as well. A Little Egret was fishing in the lagoon close to the visitor's centre. So after a coffee I decided to pop down to Goldcliff. 

Not much happening by hide one so I decided to go straight to the new viewing platform which has been incredibly rich of late. Sure enough it didn't disappoint because right in front of me by the reed bed there were four Little Egrets, Spotted Redshank, Redshank, Greenshank and on the other side of the reeds four Ruff. Tracking back with my binoculars I almost fell off the seat when I saw my first Great White Egret, one of a pair visiting today. I had a recent conversation about how soon they might spread from their established stronghold just over the Bristol Channel in Somerset and this could be a scouting operation. One flew West but the other which was over by hide one at this point flew back and landed right in front of me enabling me to take some photos and video. Fortunately it posed next to a Little Egret so I could see the difference in size. It was mobbed by a Heron and eventually flew off although if the two Great Whites had been together I think they would have been able to resist the heron - they are about the same size.

Little Egrets with Spotted Redshanks, GreenShank and Common Redshank

Little Egrets with Great White in the distance.

Great White Egret

Just a few comparison shots.