St Mary's Vale: Wood Warbler video, Mipit, Redstart.

I mentioned to Tom Chinnick (Gwent County Recorder) that I still hadn't seen a Wood Warbler and he was good enough to point me to the right spot which is halfway up the Sugarloaf in Abergavenny. I drove up there in early May and pulled into the little car park.

As soon as I got out of the car I heard a Goldcrest calling and sure enough it was right there on the branch in front of me,  joined almost immediately by a male and they wasted no time in mating.

The gate just visible in this second photograph goes in front of a cottage and leads to the entrance to the walk through the valley.

On the way down I saw  a Pied Fly Catcher and heard my first Wood Warbler. Before I focus on the main course I'll just post a couple of other spots as this is such an excellent area for birding spanning as it does a wooded river valley with closed leaf canopy and open moorland.

Jays

Following the path up the hill towards the Sugarloaf I saw this Redstart on a fence by the farm.

I know these are only 'record shots' - the light wasn't particularly good at this point!

Male Redstart

Female Redstart

I also saw these handsome Linnets.

Another pretty pair - Blue Tits

From here the views are spectacular !

Up in a tree and then on a wire I saw what I believe (from the absence of a huge spur) to be a Tree Pipet.

Rounding the hill onto the Sugarloaf itself I saw this Mistle Thrush, one of a number up there.

As I approached the first parking space area I heard a bird calling from a hedgerow that turned out to be a Yellowhammer!

In a nearby tree I heard a Willow Warbler calling and captured this one mid-snack

On the hillside I saw lots of Meadow Pipits and heard and saw a Sky Lark.

Mippit with nesting material.

Walking up and over the side of the Sugar Loaf back into the woods I saw a Coal Tit 

and this (not sure, any help appreciated)

Finally tracked down the source of all the noise the elusive Wood Warbler! Here are a few photos,

Wood Warbler

Last but by no means least (as it took quite a while to put together) I've included a video. I've been working my way through the common warblers and I've only got the Garden and Dartford to go for the set. Icterine, Yellow Browed and Marsh Warblers are on my wish list but all fall into the category of rarities in this part of the world. 

• wow great pictures John and what a busy day ! would you be able to point me in the direction of getting to the start of this walk please - looks like a great one to do, cant download the vid at the moment (my problem not your video) but will be able to once I get home and looking forward to watching

• Hi Nicky, the co-ordinates are 51.83970, -3.04088 which you can paste into Google or iOS Maps. basically it's head for Abergavenny and take the Brecon Road then turn right just before the roundabout that takes you up to Waitrose. Follow the road through the suburban speed bump bit and keep driving until you pass through trees and turn left between a farm and a cottage then follow the road until you come to the car park which is lined with tall conifers. Good luck.

• Wonderful shots of some beautiful birds John. That looks to be a great area and you certainly had a fruitful day.

• Brilliant thanks John, not much luck of going to far this weekend due to the velothon but may give it a try the week after - hope I get as fruitful day as you but if I do then may be looking for help on here with ID'ing !

• Great post and a terrific selection of woodland birds. I love the song of the Wood Warbler. It's not a bird I see every year but the trill is unmistakable. Where have all the Yellowhammers gone? I remember seeing them perched on wires and hearing their famous phrase. That was so many years ago. I'm pretty confident the bird that you haven't positively identified is a female Pied Flycatcher. I think I'll have to visit St. Mary's Vale in the next few weeks.

• Great report of a good day out--thanks, John!  Not sure we will get that far on our next trip, but another time perhaps.

• Well done John for getting those really hard shots, don't know how you kept up with them, and what a choice and to hear there sounds.really loved the video was relaxing and informitive.thanks Yas

• Thank you so much Nicky, Ann and Yas, really encouraging comments. Female Pied-Flycatcher Colin - wow, guess I should have hung around and might have had the pair! incidentally if you are going the coordinates of the car park are 51.83974,-3.04092 (just paste into google or iOS maps for turn by turn directions!)