Rare spots

As the weather is a bit rubbish and not looking particularly good for the weekend and being such a newbie to the birding world (and work is boring me when I want to be out with the camera), I've been hooked on the news of the Lammergeier visit across the Forest of Dean, Devon and now at the tip of the Severn Estuary and have now taken to leaving my camera in the car when going to work just (well it would be sods law to happen if i didnt) in case there's any sightings closer to home. When I saw the name Lammergeier light up the twitter twitching world I had to go and look up what it was - and wow what an amazing looking bird, no wonder the UK birding community has gone mad. Think I may have just become slightly more hooked - please tell me I'm not going to go mad and become totally hooked ! (although think it may be too late.....). Was bad enough when I spotted my first Linnet recently so just wondering what first spots you guys have had especially at the Wetlands 

• Thought I spotted a big bird today heading from the wetlands towards Somerset but i only got a fleeting glance as a tree got in the way and then it was gone over the sea wall. Well Nicky I've only been birding since I retired and as grew up in Sale before the clean air act stopped most of the soot the only birds I saw through the murk were Sparrows and Starlings, virtually every bird I see is a first spot for me!

I suppose particularly memorable are Bearded Tit, Cetti's Warbler and Grasshopper Warbler although on rare occasions I've seen Redstart and Whinchat down there. In Goldcliff a Spoonbill, the Ibis and the Avocet.

• Still to get a good clear spot of the Cetti's John so that'll be an exciting one for me, the spoonbill, ibis and avocets also would be firsts for me (in the wild so to speak) so looking forward to getting a free friday and getting to Goldcliff. Keep those eyes peeled there John I'm down there like a shot if there are any big bird sightings :)

• ps I'm a big sparrow and starling fan so nothing wrong with a daily dose of those John :)