Winchat, Cetti's, White & Yellow Wagtails and and Little Grebe

All spotted today at various locations at the lagoons. From RedHouse Barn hide spotted Winchat and Linnet in the long hedgerow opposite, the Marsh Harrier made an appearance in the distance too. Cetti's Warbler close to the hide. And at the sea wall hide there were at least 20 White Wagtails with 3 or 4 Yellows too. A little Grebe was also seen ducking and diving in the pond closest to the screens. 38 species today, well pleased!
John www.reflectingme.com
  • Sounds like you had a good day, John.  Please tell the Chat and all the Wagtails to stick around for about 6 weeks so that we can see them at the end of May/early June--lol! Have any Cuckoos returned to the Wetlands?

Kind regards, Ann

• No reports of Cuckoo as yet, as far as I am aware, Ann.  I have seen one there in previous years, was surprised by it actually - only a few yards away. But too quick to fly off for me to get the camera to my eyes!!! grrrr :)

John www.reflectingme.com
  • John, thanks.  We saw 3 Cuckoos flying around over and beyond the woodland when we visited the Wetlands a couple of years ago in early June but we have not seen any before or since.  We did hear another on one visit.  However, that is hardly a representative sample since we only visit NW once a year, though I have hopes for more visits per year in the future!

Kind regards, Ann

• Did a nice long walk around the wetlands on Friday (still couldn't find goldcliffe though!!) and heard the cuckoo at three different locations, didnt get to spot him but did get a couple of vids of him calling across the lagoons unfortunately not a clue on how to upload the vids on here