Help for us newbies

Have re-found a love of photographing wildlife over the past year or so and after chancing upon RSPB Minsmere last month and seeing their fantastic reserve have taken the plunge and become an RSPB member along with hubby. We've been talking about visiting the wetlands for a while but have never visited to date, now we're members we'd love to come and do a bit of exploring but looking for suggestions for best places to start for understanding the layout, best places for spotting and are they different to places for photographing etc, also are there any do's and don'ts on the reserve we should be aware of ? not sure if there are any daft questions in there so apologies if there are but all help/suggestions gratefully received
  • Hi Nicky. Congratulations on re-discovering your love of photographing wildlife. The falling price of good quality cameras has made this a hobby accessible to everyone. With regard to this reserve there are a couple of things you might need to know in advance - if you are bringing  a dog or bike it's fine but you are restricted to the path which travels around the reserve and along the sea-wall, they aren't allowed within the reserve itself. There is plenty of parking. Once in the reserve you will probably gravitate towards the visitor's centre. This is a well designed building built in such a way that it is surrounded by water on 3 sides. The scrape viewable from the cafeteria is normally frequented by Coot, Moorhen, Mallard etc and Little Egrets are often seen there however in the past Marsh Harriers have been known to take prey there and last week a Glossy Ibis was reported. A couple of years ago a Penduline Tit was discovered in one of the roadbeds near the centre.

if I was you I would exit the visitor's centre back over the bridge and enter the reserve by Perry Lane. there is often more to be seen in the trees here than the rest of the reserve. in addition to all the usual Tits and Finches there are often Goldcrest and from about late March/April the warblers arrive. Chiffchaffs are easily spotted and Whitethroat. Less visible but regularly there are the Lesser Whitethroat and Willow Warbler. Reed Warblers are heard and sometimes seen in the reeds to the left and if you're lucky you'll see a Cetti's Warbler although I can guarantee you'll hear them! Climbing the slope to the reserve the choice of direction is up to you, Left will take you around to the hide which is through a copse. In here you may see Tree Creepers, Goldcrest, at this time of the year Siskins and Redpoll. last week I saw a Green Woodpecker. From the hide what you may see is variable and depends on the season so this is a brief list of what I've seen: Nothing (rarely), Tufted Duck, Pochard, Gadwall, Garganey, Mallard, Teal, Shoveler. Little Grebe, Coot, Moorhen, Great Crested Grebe, Otter, Grey Heron, Little Egret, Mute Swan, Canada Geese, Marsh Harrier, Hen Harrier, Sparrow Hawk, Kestrel, Bearded Tit, Reed Bunting, Cetti's Warbler, Chiffchaff, Nothing (disappointingly).

Walking back towards the sea wall from the hide and again depending on the time of year you may see Stonechats (they are there at the moment). In the shrubs by the sea-wall as the season progresses, Linnet, Whitethroat (often), Redstart and Whinchat (rarely), down below on the rocks a Wheatear on passage although I have seen them at several points in the reserve on Spring and Autumn migration. Looking towards the Bristol Channel you will usually see Curlews and Shelduck on the mudflats and occasionally a Whimbrel and other waders. in the morning you'll have the sun behind you (better for photography) coming from this direction, as you approach the lighthouse and pontoon bridge, although you could have arrived at this point earlier by walking straight forward after climbing the slope to the reserve proper. the area along the pontoon bridge is the best spot for seeing Bearded Tits but July is the best month to see them!

I'll leave it there as I've rambled on a bit but really I've only passed on tips about half the reserve. You  have asked at the right time, within a couple of weeks the reserve will spring to life as the migrants arrive, probably my favourite time of the year. good luck!

• Hi Nicky and welcome from Caithness, at the very top of Scotland

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

• Must admit that John has got it pretty well covered, only thing I can add is parking is free and the visitor centre staff are very friendly and helpful.

• Hi Catlady, I had no idea you were based so far north, such an interesting area bird-wise with all those sub-arctic migrants.

• Thanks Catlady, spent our honeymoon 24yrs ago touring Fort William to Isle of Skye and then across to Caithness and still have the beautiful glassware we bought there as a reminder, it was on one of the drives through a high point in one of the forests that we saw our first (and to date last) Golden Eagle - that triggered a massive love for Prey Birds, absolutely stunning sight and we hope in the next year of two (with our membership) to get back up there

• Wow John this is exactly what I was looking for and more, really appreciate the info, will be hoping weather is decent enough on weekend to get down for an initial explore of the layout and then start spotting the photo vantage points you've mentioned, at the moment I'm using Cosmeston as a bit of a practice spot as its only two mins from work but as I'm only 10miles down the road from the wetlands for home (I know I cant believe I've not visited before !) this place definitely needs some time spending there. While at Minsmere and touring Suffolk last month I was lucky enough to spot my first little Egret, partridge and a few braces of pheasant along with lots of shelducks, teal and pochard while the next day two kingfishers, another little Egret (bit like buses I guess) and a Grey stork at a place called Needham Lakes, I also managed to come across my first ever fieldfare which I understand are more common than I realised. Bit of a novice of the spotting though so is it ok to post requests for IDs on here without sounding like a complete plonker ? and is it good to post pics of spots here too ?? thanks again

• Can you get a cuppa in the visitor centre David ??

• Must say Marsh Harrier on the bucket list for spotting for both hubby and me, one of those that I'm desperate to spot and even more desperate (along with kingfishers) to photograph

• You certainly can get a cuppa as well as snacks.

• Hi Nicky, sadly the Caithness glass factory is now closed. We have a great range of birds up here, resident and passing through. Last week counted around 30 swans and a field of geese, some sight. The RSPB have recently bought Dunner Head which has a huge amount of birds (there is a piece about it on the main page).

John, yes we are at the very top!

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.