Tonight just heard the UK Government want’s 25% of energy power in the UK to be Nuclear! What does that means for Minsmere?

I’ve just heard tonight on Newsnight on BBC 2 this evening and that the UK Government  wants 25% of UK energy power to be provided by Nuclear Power Stations! What will that mean for the possible Nuclear Power Station being built next to Minsmere! Also what is the latest situation about trying to stop a Nuclear Power Station being built next to Minsmere? I’ve heard nothing from the RSPB or from any organisation for a few months! What is happening right now to try to stop this legally.? It’s gone all very quiet from both sides of the argument at the present time! Can you tell me and others concerned about this urgent matter on what is the latest situation about this’?

• Thanks for raising this Ian.

Although the Government has today described an increased role and accelerated development for nuclear power in the provision of domestic energy, and made mention of Sizewell C, it is important to understand that the new facility at Sizewell is still awaiting the green light from Government. This is not yet a “done deal”.

We believe the development still has much work to do to prove that it will not be disastrous for wildlife on the Suffolk coast and at the RSPB’s flagship nature reserve at Minsmere. Therefore, we continue to maintain that that the current Sizewell C project is not appropriate at this location

You can also keep up to date with the Love Minsmere campaign at www.rspb.org.uk/.../ and with our casework pages at www.rspb.org.uk/.../
  • A tough nut to crack. Recent events in the Ukraine highlight national and global energy security as critical factors in policy formation - a dynamic and delicate balancing act between political, economic, human and environmental considerations. The fate of belovéd Minsmere is caught up in all this and a symbol of it. Thank goodness there are still some ready to speak up, challenge, defend and seek to influence debate and outcomes. The RSPB has a key role to play.
  • www.energy.gov/.../advantanges-and-challenges-wind-energy
    Here is a link to an article about the advantages and challenges about energy provided by wind power. Instead of always been challenged about my views!
  • I’ve had problem posting links with my iPad for a while! So here’s a photo of that article with the title!

• Hi Ian,

Thank you for that link - but www.energy.gov is a US website (US Department of Energy) targeted at American readers, and since the relative economics of wind energy is site-specific, and the UK, particularly Scotland and offshore, has better wind resources than many parts of continental US the analysis they present may not be directly applicable here....

Here is some data on UK wind energy: www.gov.uk/.../wind-energy-in-the-uk-june-2021.