A day at the reserve starting in mist and cloud and ending in glorious sunshine

My first visit to Minsmere this year was on Sunday, it started a little gloomy weather wise but we were told at reception that the Bearded Tits were showing well from the path near South Hide. We hadn't reached South Hide when my wife heard them, a group of 20 or more moving along in the reeds beside the path. The light was poor and the birds were constantly on the move in the reeds making a clear shot difficult, but I did manage a few decent images.

The Bearded Tits melted back into the reeds after a few minutes, so we went into South Hide where there were Whooper Swans in the middle.

A little further along and a Robin insisted on having it's picture taken

The Stonechats were showing well along the dune fencing.

After lunch we went to Island Mere and saw this Marsh Harrier, unfortunately the lighting was against me again.

Going round again we ended up at the Public Hide and saw the Whoopers from the other direction, at least the sun was shining now. We were with one of the reserve guides, David I think, apologies if I'm wrong. He was very informative and tried (unsuccessfully) to find the Lesser Yellow Legs for us.

David spotted a couple of Goosanders for us at East Hide.

After David left us we stayed for a glorious sunset.

The Lapwings took off and put on a show for us to end the day.

So ended a splendid day at Minsmere, we did see many other birds including a small group of Red Throated Divers offshore but they were all quite distant.

Best Wishes,

Trevor

Parents Reply Children
No Data