Worrying that the Government pledges £1.7bn public to new nuclear plant!

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2021/oct/27/government-pledges-17bn-of-public-money-to-new-nuclear-plant

I’m truly shocked if this is true and the climate change change conference about to start. The first thing I’m thinking about this news is Minsmere. Can some senior member of staff from Minsmere comment about this possible shocking and upsetting news if true. As if it's true I feel so upset by this and my question would be. Is nothing sacred in this country?

Parents
  • This is simply the wrong scheme in the wrong place. Unfortunately, the RSPB has only really made its voice heard in the last few years. The one thing is Sizewell's favour is that the local populace are inured to the principle of a nuclear power station on their doorstep. In economic, environmental and ecological terms, government could hardy find a worse site.
    Even if Sizewell were a suitable location, the scheme is all wrong. Of the three EDF rectors under construction, two are more than ten years behind schedule, and one (Hinkley) only a mere 25% over budget and two and a half years late. No one knows how much the two in China cost, but we do know one is closed for "maintenance" (i.e. broken down). Why our government is so hell bent on putting risk capital into such a venture, is beyond me. And given the French behaviour, I am at a loss to understand why we would want a nearly bankrupt French Government owned firm to build and run such a vital piece of infrastructure.
    So write to your MPs and tell them the whole thing is madness. (Don't bother with the member for Suffolk Coastal. She will do whatever line government takes to further her climb up the greasy pole!)
  • This is simply the wrong scheme in the wrong place. Unfortunately, the RSPB has only really made its voice heard in the last few years. The one thing is Sizewell's favour is that the local populace are inured to the principle of a nuclear power station on their doorstep. In economic, environmental and ecological terms, government could hardy find a worse site.
    Even if Sizewell were a suitable location, the scheme is all wrong. Of the three EDF rectors under construction, two are more than ten years behind schedule, and one (Hinkley) only a mere 25% over budget and two and a half years late. No one knows how much the two in China cost, but we do know one is closed for "maintenance" (i.e. broken down). Why our government is so hell bent on putting risk capital into such a venture, is beyond me. And given the French behaviour, I am at a loss to understand why we would want a nearly bankrupt French Government owned firm to build and run such a vital piece of infrastructure.
    So write to your MPs and tell them the whole thing is madness. (Don't bother with the member for Suffolk Coastal. She will do whatever line government takes to further her climb up the greasy pole!)
Children
No Data