A few from a sunny Minsmere.

It was a beautiful afternoon on Wednesday so Limpy and I decided to spend a few hours at Minsmere.  It was a bit on the quiet side bird-wise but the same couldn't be said of the insect life:

Speckled wood butterfly

Four spotted chaser dragonfly

A pair of common blue damselflies in flagrante delicto!

I love common terns.  This one was hovering near the Wildlife Lookout.

Another common tern, from the South Hide.  Love the attitude!

An avocet coming in to land.

Finishing with a black-headed gull overlooking the South Scrape.  Sadly, there were fewer of these on the Scrape than usual, with fewer chicks - but on the plus side, I'm told there are more avocet chicks around.

Hope you enjoy these.

Parents
  • Wonderful photos, Clare--thanks! Great that you and Limpy managed to get to Minsmere. We met with a couple of other Forumates at Leighton Moss last week and LM was fairly quiet for birds, too, but it is a shame that you two and other folks could not be there with us. However, we did have fabulous views of a male, a female and a couple of newly-fledged juvenile Marsh Harriers as well as a few other birds there. Hazel and Mike even saw the Spoonbills (don't know if you saw her pics on another thread), but that was too much walking for me, as well as far too early in the morning, so we met them for lunch instead!
  • Wonderful photos, Clare--thanks! Great that you and Limpy managed to get to Minsmere. We met with a couple of other Forumates at Leighton Moss last week and LM was fairly quiet for birds, too, but it is a shame that you two and other folks could not be there with us. However, we did have fabulous views of a male, a female and a couple of newly-fledged juvenile Marsh Harriers as well as a few other birds there. Hazel and Mike even saw the Spoonbills (don't know if you saw her pics on another thread), but that was too much walking for me, as well as far too early in the morning, so we met them for lunch instead!
Children
No Data