Brief article about the history about Minsmere

https://www.greatbritishlife.co.uk/homes-and-gardens/places-to-live/history-of-rspb-minsmere-7017822

This is a brief article published in 2018 about Minsmere in a countryside magazine in 2018 and does include the great Bert Axcell one of the great pioneers during the 1960’s and 1970’s in paticular as Bert Axell was the first full time warden at Minsmere and it was Bert Axell who’s idea about creating the scrape at Minsmere in the early 1960’s he actually received the MBE for his work in conservation. I can remember the days when Minsmere was just open 4 days a week and you had to apply months ahead for a permit and the deadline for applying for a permit wa siix months ahead and you weren’t guaranteed a permit even applying that far ahead as I found when applying well in advance for a permit at a reserve in Wales much more than 6 months ahead as all the permits had been taken up and so I had to try for another day of which I had success at Ynys-Hir in Wales.

Parents
  • The above does indeed mention about the small Heronry from 1971 at Minsmere of which i saw during the 1970’s on my visit to Minsmere. It was unusual that the Heron’s did indeed nest in Minsmere’s reedbeds. Sadly not anymore.

• The above does indeed mention about the small Heronry from 1971 at Minsmere of which i saw during the 1970’s on my visit to Minsmere. It was unusual that the Heron’s did indeed nest in Minsmere’s reedbeds. Sadly not anymore.

Children
  • I had a similar experience when I ordered Bert's book off Amazon last year - I was surprised the copy was not only signed but contained some newspaper articles tucked inside about the creation of the scrape!

Although there's not a heronry at Minsmere anymore, last year a few grey herons nested in the reeds at Dingle Marshes but it's still a rare occurrence for them to choose this rather than trees. Hopefully purple herons might try to breed here again and we'll see more of the great and cattle egrets.