Sand Wasp Masterclass

I filmed this little Sand Wasp for so long yesterday along Digger Alley the camera overheated and shut down!  I've sliced & diced all the footage into a 4 minute film on her work digging, stocking, closing and hiding her burrow.  Just the one pic to set the stage

And here's the video.  4 minutes of it, but I think it's worth the time :-)

Parents
  • They are phenomenal little creatures.  This was actually her second attempt at a hole.  Initially she dug a hole the other side of the bush, closing the door whilst she went off hunting.  Returning with the caterpillar, she found it impossible to get down the hole.  A few half-hearted attempts to enlarge it, then she gave up and hid the prey before starting the hole you've already seen.  You can clearly see how she gathers up an armful of sand and drops it away from the hole.  Far different to the Beewolf or Pantaloon digging method

• They are phenomenal little creatures.  This was actually her second attempt at a hole.  Initially she dug a hole the other side of the bush, closing the door whilst she went off hunting.  Returning with the caterpillar, she found it impossible to get down the hole.  A few half-hearted attempts to enlarge it, then she gave up and hid the prey before starting the hole you've already seen.  You can clearly see how she gathers up an armful of sand and drops it away from the hole.  Far different to the Beewolf or Pantaloon digging method

Children
No Data